1. Blue05LT2

Blue05LT2 New Member

Ok. So I bought this 2005 Tahoe & the rear HVAC only blew cold. The dealer gave me a service contract to fix it (which is the only reason I went ahead & bought it). So, they replaced both the mode door & blend door actuators & it worked for about a week. We leave it on heat for the kids, so we never even messed with the thermostat. Yesterday, it went full cold again & WILL NOT move. I also noticed the lights inside the overhead controls for the rear hvac are out. Any thoughts? The dealer says they don't know what it could be & I don't want to spend the couple hundred $ to replace the overhead controls & the control module. Could those be it? Anyone else solve this issue?

Thanks & sorry for the long post,
    Greg.

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Isnt there a fuse for the rear heat module?? im not to up todate with the newer OHC rear HVAC...

3. Blue05LT2

Blue05LT2 New Member

I don't remember if there is or not, but all the fuses have been checked anyways. The fan control & mode control both work, just not the temp control. Even the digital dsplay on the backside of the center consol works fine, just that the blend door will not budge.

4. murdog94

Hmm wonder if the blend door motor went out again...

5. Blue05LT2

Blue05LT2 New Member

That's always possible, but then the question is what's killing that so fast? I guess i'll let the dealer replace parts, it's not my money they're wasting!!

6. murdog94

exactly... and its not always what is killing it, it is more related to the quality of parts they are installing. Since alot of parts suppliers meet OEM requirements but when things are mass produced there is an "acceptable" failure rate.

7. Blue05LT2

Blue05LT2 New Member

Very true. The parts were from their GMC dealer & are 'factory parts' supposedly. But i'm going to try to get them to rplace both the overhead control (since the bulbs are all dead, hehe) & the control module.

Thanks, Mike, for your thoughts.

Greg.

8. Blue05LT2

Blue05LT2 New Member

So here's a little update.

The dealer (on their own dime) replaced the overhead control unit. And guess what, it STILL DOES NOT WORK! Really what else is left besides the control module & the temp sensors? Anyone ever hear of the temp sensors going out? If they can't fix it, they WILL be buying it back (as per the sales contract), which I would rather not do but if that's what it comes down to, then it is what it is.

Any thoughts anyone? Replaced: both actuators (blend & mode doors) & the front overhead control unit. The mode selection works fine, as does the fan speed. Just the temp control does not work, just automatically sets itself to cold.

Greg.

9. Blue05LT2

Blue05LT2 New Member

So I got it fixed MYSELF after the idiot dealer spent the $ to replace the parts. I did a google searched & found a thread on fullsizechevy.com. Here's a pic of what I did (pic is from the site, I just copied the idea). 06.jpg
    Basically I opened the case carefully, added the small nut & bolt as an extra stopper (because the basic problem is it over turns itself) & re-installed. It works PERFECT!!!! On heat or A/C it works GREAT!

Greg.