1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Rear Lift

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by canislupis69, Mar 1, 2010.

1. canislupis69

canislupis69 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

So here is the deal. I have 7 1/2" lift in the front of my truck and about 6 1/2" in the back (once I add the weight of my spare tire and baja spare tire carrier). So I need an extra inch of lift in the rear to be level (which I want). I am already running a 5 inch block and an add a leaf in the rear, so I am pretty much maxed out. I was considering a shackle flip, but, do not have the tools or know how, so I guess I am looking at new leaf springs. Anyone have any suggestions??
  2. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would find a spring shop and have the springs re-arched and leaves added to achieve the desired height, I had this done on an old Dodge truck several years ago, they removed the 4" Rancho lift block and re-configured the rear leaf pack to give me 6" of lift. I would be worried about drive shaft angles at 6" and above though, they put spacers between the cross member and frame to help out with the excessive drive shaft angle. One other thing, the re-configured leaf pack will ride pretty rough!
  3. ajfdirtrider

ajfdirtrider Rockstar

Agreed. It will ride like a lumber wagon!
  4. canislupis69

I did not think about having the leaf pack re-configured. I was thinking about buying a 6 inch lift aftermarket leaf pack and use a small 2 inch block or zero rate leaf machined with the proper degree to address the pinion angle issue.
  5. Stealth

Stealth Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I think that would work, but would you could also do is get an air-ride leveling kit. Level ride and smoothness in one package or you could possibly get longer shackles. Look out for axle wrap though, it may be a problem with that much lift.
  6. Greg84

Greg84 Rockstar 100 Posts

I'm not sure what you use your truck for, but with the lift springs I got the ride quality is about the same as it was stock but it really squats if you put any weight on the back (like a decent sized trailer) the back end sags a lot. I'd say twice as much for the same weight as stock.

Is your rear sitting that low already or are you just guessing it'll sit that low once you have the extra weight back there? If you're getting rid of the spare tire hanging under the back and mounting the new tire in the front of the box ahead of the axle, I doubt the height will change at all. Mine didn't.
  7. canislupis69

I already removed the stock spare tire from underneath and placed the spare tire in the back (close to the cab where I am going to mount it) and the back is an inch lower than the front. What about 2500 HD springs. They would give me some lift (which I could adjust with different blocks) and I am sure sag would not be an issue when towing, though I do not tow much just an ATV trailer (would love to get a boat one day though!).