Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Rear Main Seal Leak Please help!

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by silveradokid, Nov 28, 2009.

1. silveradokid

silveradokid New Member

I have a 99 silverado, and it has a steady leak from the rear main sea:no:l, i know that its a couple hundred bucks to get that fixed at a shop. And I'm a little hesitant to drop the transmission to replace the seal. I saw some engine oil additive or something that said it repairs the rear main seal to stop the leaks. I think is was called No Leak. I was wondering if this stuff worked and what brand to buy, because i noticed some other brands like Bar. Thanks!

2. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

All of those stop leaks prey on one's desire to avoid expensive repairs. I've used my share of Bar's Leaks, Wynn's, K&W Block Seal, Motor Honey etc. By and large, most do little to help. Then again they are typically less than $10 so what's the harm. Just start setting aside the money for the repair and don't let it go too long. It's a hand grenade and the pin has been pulled.:glasses:

3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I know times are tough and moneys scarce out there but I gotta agree with unplugged on this.
    I used Bars Coolant System Stop Leak years ago as an emergency fix to get home, it was only 150 miles, by time I removed the radiator it had plugged up the radiator and cooling system causing the truck to overheat and warp the heads.
    So in a lubrication system just what does this stuff do? its designed to fill in a leak, lubrication systems need to keep oil flowing to be effective.

4. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The engine stop leak has a chemical which softens the rubber in ALL the rubber type seals in your engine. It may or may not work but it's worth a try since letting it leak may damage the engine if left to leak. Once the leak stops change your oil right away.
    I have a friend who stopped his front axle seal leak with this stuff so I know it works on rubber type seals.

5. silveradokid

silveradokid New Member

Thanks guys. I figured it wouldn't be the best thing for my truck, but it didn't hurt asking. I think I'm going to wait till Christmas break and drop the transmission to replace the seal.

6. buhockeyace32

buhockeyace32 New Member

Rear Main Seal Leak in 99 Tahoe (with 350)

My wife has a 99 Tahoe with the 350 block in it. It has a fairly major rear main seal leak and I have looked into replacing it. I have replaced the seal on other chevy small blocks and typically they are two-piece seals allowing for this to be done without removing the crank shaft or decoupling the transmission.

I have searched everywhere but I can only find the seal as a one-piece replacement. Does anyone know of where I can get a two-piece seal.

Thanks