Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Rear Main Seal

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Silverado Junkie, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Ive got a '95 silverado with a 5.7l in it and i have a small leak from my rear main seal. Its not big, just a few little drips on the bottom of the oil pan show up every day to two. Should i be worried and is there a way to fix it without pulling the motor or dropping the tranny to get to it? Thanks.

2. Jcloud

Jcloud Rockstar

Are u sure it's your rear main seal? It could be an oil pan gasket leak. And no there is no permant fix to the rear main seal unless you change the seal. You can buy additive fluid for a rear main seal leak but it's only temporary fix if that.

3. Gambit

Gambit Rockstar 100 Posts

Yeah man the only way to fix a rear main seal leak is to replace the rear main seal. You can slow it down with some lucas rear main seal repair but it wont last forever. Then again nether will a new seal. I would check to make sure it isnt the oil pan forst. that is so much easier to fix. would hate to see you replace the rear main just to see that it was the oil pan all along.

4. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Alright, thanks for the advice guys.

5. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

And a few drops every few days isnt gonna hurt it just keep an eye on it if it proves to be the rear main and not the Oil pan.. These monsters are known for the rear main leaking..