1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Rear springs need help. Airbags?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by azhobo, Sep 23, 2013.

1. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

The RAS seems like a great solution and as others have said get great reviews. I only have experience with the Firestone industrial Airbags and think they are great. That bieng said the RAS system is something I would consider if I didnt already have bags.
  2. JimmyA

JimmyA Member 1 Year 100 Posts

The RAS is on my Bucket List!
  3. CKNSLS

CKNSLS Member 2 Years 100 Posts

You have 2,200 pounds of payload as indicated by the yellow and white sticker on your driver's door jam? It's located under the tire sizes and says something as follows-The passengers and cargo for this vehicle shall not exceed XXXX?

What does it say?
  4. Necred

Necred Member

My towing cap is 9400, but ive yet to come close to that, my tractor is 4200 & trailer around 2000 & my truck will squat like a baby. Even with ton of gravel its obvious. Im actually looking to buy a 2500 when/if guy makes up his mind..
  5. CKNSLS

CKNSLS Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Your right-you will not come close to your towing capacity in a half-ton. YOUR PAYLOAD is different from the towing capacity. On a half-ton truck YOU WILL ALWAYS RUN OUT OF PAYLOAD before your TOWING CAPACITY.

As a general rule you can't tow the maximum the manual states because you will run out of payload first. A ton of gravel is overloading your truck. I am guessing your payload is not more than 1500 pounds.
  6. Necred

Necred Member

Yeah, & this (gravel) was also on a trailer. I paid for a ton but it was one scoop...so how will this system or how much should this system allow me to pull/haul? I had to get another hitch with higher ball mount to keep trailer jack from scrubbing ground....The most I would pull is a 4200 tractor with 800lb mower on a 2k trailer so my tongue weight shouldn't be exceeded.
  7. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

This system will help your truck actually handle and utilize what its rated for, if you go to http://www.activesuspension.com/ the RAS website they explain how RAS works and what it can improve. They truly have all the answers you need and if you still have questions you can call them and talk to an associate.
  8. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Nothing will allow you to legally pull/haul more than what your truck is rated for. My bags are rated for 5000lbs but my payload limit is only around half that. On a trailer most the weight is not on the truck so it just has to help level from the tongue weight.