Rear Springs

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by justcuz, Aug 24, 2007.

1. justcuz

justcuz Rockstar

Any body thought of putting H2 Hummer springs in the rear of their 00 and up Suburban. I just towed a 6x12 UHaul to Monterey from the LA area and even though I have Autoride on my 00 Suburban the rear was pretty low. I was thinking about heavier rear springs and wondered about H2 springs. I do not want to lift it too far but do not want a lot of sag when I tow or have 6 people and gear in it either. Those poor rear autoride shocks got a workout man! I run 285/75x16 tires on stock 2004 wheels. Minimal trimming of the wheel well plastic and they work just fine. Does Moog make cargo coils for this application? I have a co-worker with an H2 and am going to check out his rear springs next week (wire diameter and height). Just thought I would ask if anybody has done this.:happy:

2. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You might want to check out the Roadmaster active suspension. Easy to install and they work.

3. justcuz

justcuz Rockstar

The only thing they show for coils springs is for a Crown Victoria.

4. omegafiler

omegafiler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Ahh, if you have autoride (shocks & coil springs), things do get a bit more tricky. I'm sure you can replace the springs, but it might mess with the autoride system. I know people have put a whole new non-autoride suspensions in there and just disable autoride, but you would like get a DIC message everytime you turn on the vehicle. Which I'm guessing could also be turned off via a custom PCM tune.

I'd call a few places that sell/install suspension components for our trucks and see what their experience is with autoride.

5. justcuz

justcuz Rockstar

I only want to lift an inch or 2. Autoride on mine kicks in when the car is loaded and needs to come back to level, so if was level with weight in it (due to heavier springs) the autoride would kick in less.

6. justcuz

justcuz Rockstar

Just to update the H2 springs have a larger wire diameter, but same outside circumference as the suburban springs but are 1.5 inches taller. As soon as I locate a set I am going to try them out. I've talked to a couple 4x4 shops and when they do a lift on an H2 they will call me to pick up the stock springs.

7. justcuz

justcuz Rockstar

I did it!

Just so you all know, I looked for used H2 springs for a year and could not find any. So I broke down and bought a new set. Today I installed them. I took some measurements but the pictures did not turn out well of the tape measure. Overall I gained an inch and a half to two inches of ride height. We will see when they settle down what the total is.
    Picture 1 Stock height
    Picture 2 New springs
    Picture 3 Spring difference
    Picture 4 How it looks on the street

Attached Files:

8. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Looks like you came out well. Has it caused any problems with the auto ride?

9. CarpenterGuy

CarpenterGuy Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Get some of those air bag things, or you could add a leaf. It raises up the back 2 inches though.

10. justcuz

justcuz Rockstar

No the pump came on but not for as long as usual. My shocks leak down after a couple of days. So they pump up pretty often. No trouble with the SES light and no codes as yet.