1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

rear suspension fix options?

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by superUPer, Aug 4, 2010.

1. superUPer

superUPer New Member

I have a 2002 silverado with the z71 package. My problem is the rear suspension is not even (rocks crooked when going over speed bumps, one side seems stiffer than the other). The truck had been in a crash before I bought it, somebody hit it on the passenger side. The passenger doors were caved in, and the guy I bought it from said he had to replace one leaf on the passenger side. So I'm thinking it must be the leaf he put in is not as worn as the other side, causing a difference in stiffness. Would it make that much difference? Maybe the frame is a little bent? The truck needed new shocks, so I put some Bilsteins on and that helped the problem a lot, but not totally. I also replaced the rear passenger hanger/bracket thinking that might be the issue as it was a little bent. That didn't seem to change anything. The other thing is I would like to beef up the back end a little for towing. Should I:
    put in 2500 springs?
    add a leaf?
    airbags?

Maybe with bags I could put different air pressure to even it out?

suggestions appreciated
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the club. You should always change both springs together. A add a leaf won't help. I'd change both springs.
  3. ippielb

ippielb New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Change both springs, and both shocks. That will GREATLY improve the ride quality. If you are going to be towing, definitely go for air bags in the rear, keeps stock ride quality when not towing, but adds strength for when you're towing.
  4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Ya know probably the first thing I would do is get a 4 wheel alignment to make sure everything under there is straight.
    If everythings O.K. then I'd probably make a decision either to replace the springs with an OEM spring or something like it or if I was planning on doing a lot of towing I'd look into a set of airbags.
  5. superUPer

superUPer New Member

Alignment was one of the first things I did when I got the truck. Shop said everything looked good. I've been looking into air bags, trying to decide between air ride, firestone, and hellwig. I might just put the bags on first and see if running different pressures will compensate for the springs. If not I'll look into a full set of replacement springs.