1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Rear suspension lift for towing

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by rfoster813, Apr 10, 2009.

1. rfoster813

rfoster813 New Member

Vehicle: 2006 'Burb, 1500, 2WD; looking to lift the rear a bit to achieve a more level ride when towing heavy trailers. Any reliable suggestion out there? Not looking for anything really wild, just reliable and robust. Many thanks!
  2. Jimbo74

Jimbo74 Rockstar 100 Posts

Google " rear air bag helper kit". i saw a few kits for trucks on there u gonna have to do a lil lookin. i dont no anything bout it or what people prefer i just saw that some people use air bags when hauling heavy loads. hope that helps ya and good luck
  3. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

look online for a set of Firestone air bags. they will help you out a lot
  4. azdrtdog

azdrtdog Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

I love them firestones I have swapped them from truck to truch last a long time, The down side is the kits are in the 2- 3 bill range.The pros to them is u can drop them down to 5 psi when u dont need the added support(never leave them empty the'll wrinkle and ruin the bag) over load leafs are way cheaper but u cant soften them for every day driving
  5. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

These sound like they would fit the bill for ya and then if needed you could add the bags.

I have them on my truck and they have been good they firm things up without bouncing.

Monroe Shock/Strut - Rear Price was around $100 (they come sold as a pair)
    Part No. 58612

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...S_818077323___
    [​IMG]
    The Monroe® Sensa-Trac® load adjusting shock absorber with PSD (position sensitive damping) and the Safe Tech™ system combines our exclusive precision tapered grooves in the pressure tube with application engineered valving and Fluon banded piston to improve the ride, handling, and safety characteristics of the vehicle.

These units also include a heavy gauge calibrated spring for extra control and comfort. A new pair of Monroe Sensa-Trac load adjusting shock absorbers can assist in maintaining ride height when up to 1,200 lbs*. of additional weight is loaded. These units are ideal for light trucks that carry varying loads or tow trailers.
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  6. ricodog77

ricodog77 New Member

I have a set of Airlift 1000 air bags installed in the coil springs on my Tahoe. They should work on your 1500 burban. I bought them for 65 bucks on Amazon with no tax or shipping. The install took about an hour. I just ran the air line to my rear bumper and fill it up with a tire compressor plugged into the cigarette lighter jack in the back. You could go the more expensive and nicer route and install a compressor system in the vehicle.

I leave the bags at 5 psi when driving around normally and pump it up to 35 psi or so when towing my 7500 lb travel trailer. No sag and they compensate for my stock shocks with 64k miles on 'em going over speed bumps. If you go with them there's a you tube video of the install.