Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Rear Suspension Rattle

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by bake, Jun 17, 2012.

1. bake

bake New Member

Bought a 2000 silverado 10 years ago, and always had this rattle from the rear suspension. If I drive over a bump, pot hole etc. the front wheels no problem but the back wheels I get this rattle, like metal on metal. I've looked under the back and have asked 3 different mechanics to look at it, can't figure it out. All I can only imagine is eather the parking brakes or the leaf springs, what I can tell you is when I drive with the windows down it drives me nuts.

2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

We are the Borg. Lift your vehicle and surrender your keys. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Resistance is futile. Erm, I mean ... welcome to GM Truck Club! :great: Presumably you've checked the bushings for the shocks?

3. donyms

donyms Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club, Good to have you aboard. :glasses:

4. bake

bake New Member

Thank you for the welcome... I've checked the bushings, the appear to be ok. However, the shocks are going to be due for replacement soon.

5. LOVINTHESTORM

LOVINTHESTORM Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club!

6. Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor

:sign0016: WELCOME to the club and enjoy the site.........

7. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I moved your thread to this section and changed the title to match your topic/question, thus you should receive some more responses.

Welcome to the Club!!!

8. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Have someone check to see if your drive shaft is lubed....as it slides in the spline you can get that noise if it needs lubed. You have to pull the yoke etc...

Oh...I was gonna ask if it happens when you have a load in the truck....maybe there is a rubber stop on the bed that has gone missing.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  9. kw70chevy

kw70chevy Member

check your exhaust pipes make sure they are not rubbing against something

10. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Also check the spare tire and tire hoist system.
    Ever tried laying under the truck while someone bounced it up and down to recreate the noise?