1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Rear tire swing?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by motoxpress, Apr 1, 2011.

1. motoxpress

motoxpress New Member

I have a 97 2500 'burb and I need to get the spare tire out of the rear storage area. I want to get a rear tire swing but, I can't find one that works. Anyone have ideas?

-mx
  2. Naptime

Naptime Rockstar 100 Posts

I like the idea. There's plenty made for Jeep Wranglers, and some of those have some beefy tire/wheel setups.
    I'm guessing the problem would be the upper mount, lower can bolt to the bumper.

Do you have barn doors?
  3. motoxpress

motoxpress New Member

I do have barn doors. It seems there are three ways to do it. Build one that is connected to the door hinges on the right, build one into the bumper itself or build one that attaches to the receiver. I think the latter will be the least expensive but, I do need to replace my bumper anyway since someone nailed my burb in a parking lot and drove off.

I was thinking something like this for the bumper:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Any opinions?
  4. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Personally, I'd build or get one that swings from the drivers side and doesn't go all the way across. The reasoning for this is the passenger side door opens first, and probably something you open a lot. You don't want to have to swing the tire carrier open every time you need to just quickly grab something out the back of the truck. Swinging from the left and only having the swing half-length allows you to open the door without having to swing the carrier open.
  5. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

A Co called Valley used to make a Bumper tire carrier. It worked on Tahoes and Subs.
  6. motoxpress

motoxpress New Member

Good point. I intend to do that. I am leaning towards the bumper option for that reason as it seems to be easier to orient the swing on one side that way.
  7. Naptime

Naptime Rockstar 100 Posts

8. motoxpress

motoxpress New Member

Yeah, exactly. Thanks!
  9. racekid91

racekid91 Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts