Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

rear wheel seal

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by dsfloyd, Oct 8, 2012.

1. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

So over the course of the last year I have replaced the driver side rear wheel seal 3 times and its leaking again. Sometimes it makes it a few months and this last time was a few weeks and I dont drive it daily. I also replaced the bearing the last time too. I know that this means most likely something else is to blame but I dont know what. I looked at the axle and it looks straight and smooth but that doesnt mean it is. I have used a couple different aftermarket seals and maybe I will try the factory one. The worst part is with the G80 I have to access the rear diff to remove the axle which means a new diff seal and fluid too. Any one have a similar issue or possible reason. I dont hot rod the truck and it doesnt get offroad as often as I would like.

2. dpeter

dpeter Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Do you know if it is leaking at the seal and axle or the seal and housing?

3. dsfloyd

Im not quite sure. Ive tried looking before and wasnt sure, but will look closer. The surface of the housing looks good. There is a small nick at the edge of the housing that had a little edge. I tried smoothing it a little bit but the seal seemed to extend past. I will check the seal when I pull it to see if it dented or creased the seal when installed. It could be my memory playing tricks but I dont think it seemed like a tight seal between the rubber and axle last time.

4. dsfloyd

Ok it looks like it is leaking from the rubber seal to axle.
    2012-10-09_08-27-29_257.jpg

5. dsfloyd

Simply a shameless bump:shocked:

6. dpeter

dpeter Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

No shame in that. Nice picture. Is that rust and pitting that I see on the axle and is that axle part way out of your own doing? I ask because of the fairly shiny surface out past the seal lip seams to be alot of play in it if not. If that is indeed pitting and rust at the seal lip, then the seal is not your problem it is the axle surface where the seal rides.

7. dsfloyd

I thought about the rust. Will look closer for pitting. That is actually where it sits, there is a tiny amount of play in and out but I would have to measure it (I havent checked the other side to compare either). With the G80 it has basically a large copper(?) c-clip that holds it in and then the large pin that runs through the center of the gear (which is why I have to get into the diff to remove). I will also look to see if the rust sits in all the way to the seal. Is that something that may be able to cleaned and polished up if its not pitted.

Thanks

8. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

A little play is normal, the rust is not

That "C" clip is also in the non-locking axle.

Maybe if not too deep, it may need to be turned on a lathe

9. dsfloyd

Thats kind of what I figured

Yep. its just the full float axle that is nice and easy to pull out.

thats not what I was hoping. I had already started looking at axles. I can get alloy USA from 4wp for about $100

Thanks
    David

10. dsfloyd

I take that back. the only ones I can find right now are for full floating axles:grrrrrr: