RearView Mirror Upgrade....

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by sstoner911, Aug 12, 2010.

1. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

So I had considered changing out my rearview mirror for one with the temp and compass....I know some people have that info in their DIC....I do not so I am guessing I do not have the sensor for the temp etc...

The dealer tells me that I need a module that is part of my ECM in order to get the the temp and compass and its a $400 part...plus the cost of a mirror....

can anyone verify this or can I simply get a mirror and add the temp sensor?

2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I THINK Murth makes a mirror with the temp and compass. I know they make some GM original mirror parts.

3. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Based on the fact that you were looking into upgrading your gauge cluster because you only had the 4 gauge one, I will assume here that you don't have the driver information center with the buttons to the left of your gauges. If not, the way to get comp and temp may just be to upgrade to the DIC. If you got the info about the module from the mirror from the same dealer that said you would need extra sensors to upgrade your gauges, they are probably not very reliable. If you don't have the DIC buttons, I believe it only costs about $75 to $80 for the buttons with the new trim piece, takes 5 mins to install, and your truck is pre-wired for it. Here is a thread about installing the DIC buttons.

If you have already upgraded, then I find it strange that the provisions would be there for all the other features, but not compass and temperature. I can't offer a lot of advise about adding a temp./compass mirror though, since my mirror upgrade was a totally different situation and different mirror. (non-electric mirror to Homelink auto-dim mirror)

4. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I did install the DIC buttons about a month ago - that was well worth the money! I may try and see if I can get one out of a wrecked truck and see what works and what doesnt.

I just ordered 8000K HID lights for the fogs and low beams so my "extra" money for toys needs a boost this next payday.....it will give me time to hunt for a mirror!

5. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Now that I pay enough attention, I realize that the compass and temperature was in the mirror from the factory on the new trucks, where I thought it was in the DIC like most newer GM vehicles.

I did just find a thread about this on a different website. Hope this helps. Good luck, and post up some pictures when it is done.