Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Reassembly of top of Steering Column

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by cntinuum, Nov 12, 2013.

1. cntinuum

cntinuum New Member

In replacing my turn signal swich assembly, I took the top of the column off to fish the harness down the column. Couldn't figure out how to get all back together. Posted this a couple days ago and I don't see my post.

Looked at my repair manual again and it has nothing about top of steering column.
    Determined to solve this, I went after it again today. The dimmer switch rod goes up thru what looks like a nut with the center drilled out of it. Now I am stumped with how to engage the gear in the "can" into the "rack" that operates the real ignition switch. Way more than I bargained for. In the first picture you can see the rod about the 7 o'clock position and the silver thingy top center is the "rack" for the ignition. In the second picture is the "gear/pinion" at the 5 o'clock position. How these get timed is something I have to figure out.
    -Dave

Attached Files:

2. cntinuum

cntinuum New Member

Solved
    Well, I figured it out. I ended up removing the ignition and dimmer switch off the steering column so I could see more of how to engage the "rack and pinion" of the ignition key tumbler. The "pinion" gear that the ignition cylinder engages, has a block that goes in the position below the teeth in the "rack" that is connected to the rod that operates the ignition switch. Took about 4 hours to get everything put back together. Never did find anything to be an aid.
    Cheers,
    -Dave