1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Rebuild or Buy New?

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Big_Ben, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Big_Ben

Big_Ben New Member 100 Posts

Ok, this is purely for curiosity's sake. I have a friend who has a 2005 Silverado and here is his situation in short:

His truck has many miles on it, mostly highway, and he's starting to feel like it's very sluggish, and he also needs a new transmission (or at least to have his rebuilt).

So he figured that he could get a rebuilt vortec engine installed for $3000, $3000 for the new tranny, and he was thinking while doing this why not go all out, and lift the truck, get nice rims, tires etc.

Anyway all in all he estimates (on the high side) that he could spend $10,000 - $15,000 on a rebuild, accessorize and customize and make his truck awesome.

However, he really likes the new 2010s and the idea of better gas mileage, and figures he could have it lifted and customized within 2 years of purchasing it.

My question is what would you do if you had $10,000 to $15,000 to put into a vehicle - completely re-do your own (pretending it IS necessary) or use the money as a down payment on a brand new truck?

I'm not asking what you think HE should do, as ultimately it's just a very personal choice. I'm just curious as to how many like their current truck enough to keep it "forever" vs. upgrading to something new?

I myself love my current truck, but I think if I had the money (and nothing else to spend it on) I would opt for a truck upgrade and work on making that my own.
  2. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Id go new.. Depending. I want a Manual tranny.. Period. But i want a top of the line rig, leather etc.. So i guess id be redoing mine. Top to bottom. Using a different paint job, and different color interior... Mabey a bit more on the rims and tires. And suspension parts no lift just shocks etc...
  3. ThatSilverStepside

ThatSilverStepside New Member 100 Posts

I would rebuild mine, its my truck, I put my hard work, time, and money into it i would much rather keep it and put more money into it than dumping it off for some other truck, and if i had 15,000...you better believe I would have a sick '90 silverado
  4. murdog94

Escatly what i was thinking with my 88.. I have one truck that i have always wanted and id simply turn it into that... Ive always always wanted a LOADED 1994 Chevy K300 Ext Cab Long Bed, 6.5L Diesel with a stick.. but all options.. Oh and Green and tan two tone...
    Yeah i like that. Mabey id just go buy one.
  5. j-schmizzle

j-schmizzle New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

i would just rebuild the old truck.
  6. ZSI52

ZSI52 New Member 100 Posts

I would trade it for the new sierra's.
  7. Z71_guy

Z71_guy New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

would go new i want one of those new 6.2ltr motors
  8. black06

black06 New Member

They always say you lose 10k just by driving a new vehicle off the lot. Payments are a bitch after awhile, personally I'll never buy new again but that's just me. Depends on how much he likes the 05 and what he thinks he could do for 10 of 15 grand to it. I agree w/ silver stepside mine would look bad ass also w/ no payments.
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  9. murdog94

agreed. I like not having a payment... Hence why i got rid of my F-150 and got a 22 year old truck....
  10. Big_Ben

Big_Ben New Member 100 Posts

The one thing that makes me want to keep mine aside from how well I've taken care of it, is the fact that I know this truck pretty well now and I don't like the idea of giving up something I know and am used to for something new that I would have to learn.

However i'd still enjoy the new luxuries and options as well as having low mileage so I still say new. Maybe not right off the assembly line new but less than 2 years old new.