Rebuild or Replace

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by TMRuiz, Mar 19, 2010.

1. TMRuiz

TMRuiz Rockstar 100 Posts

Ok this is my situation, I am in the possession of a 1995 Monte Carlo LS. It currently has 147k miles on it and the tranny decided to go bye bye. The rest of the car is in great shape with one small tear in the driver seat with some minor stains here and there. The engine runs like a top but the tranny only goes from first to a EXTREMEELY slipping second gear. I am wondering if I should replace the tranny with either a salvage, new or just rebuild the thing myself. I am pretty good with the tools so I’m pretty sure I can do it myself I’m just looking for input as to how much of a pain it is to rebuild verses replacing. I’m sure it’s all going to boil down to $$$$ but I was looking for any advice for those who have been inside of one of these front wheel drive cruisers.

Thanks for the input.

2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

If you have never rebuilt an automatic transaxle you are in for a treat. Can you rebuild engines? Engines are much easier to build than automatic transaxles. You will need a lot of specialty tools that will cost more than a rebuilt transmission. Take my advice. I have rebuilt lots of transmissions and my advice is to buy a reman. A GM reman if you are going to keep this car. Have fun! :)

3. TMRuiz

TMRuiz Rockstar 100 Posts

Thanks, thats the info I was looking for.
    Oh and yes I have rebuilt engines before, but you told me just what I wanted to know thanks.