Rebuild question???

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by ChivaLRy, Mar 11, 2011.

1. ChivaLRy

ChivaLRy New Member

Hey, can anyone give me a semi-accurate estimation of how much it would cost to rebuild a 02 5.3l v8?
  2. dualdj1

dualdj1 New Member

with you doing it or someone else?
  3. Check GM dealers and online. Its almost cheaper, if not cheaper to buy a GM reman and most have 24/24,000-36mo/36,000 warranty. Plus you have less down time, takes about a day to swap.
  4. dpeter

dpeter New Member

I would second what Silveradotrailblazer said in a big way. You can get a rebuild kit for less than 300 bucks for a small block Chevy and add some money for oil and antifreeze maybe throw in a hundred for a lift and away you go. But if it NEEDS a rebuild, then get your wallet out cause it will likely need machine work, head/valve work, timing components, valve train etc. etc. and though anyone can bolt an engine back together, not everyone can do it correctly.
    forgot to mention pistons and crankshaft. The $$$$$ just keep on adding up
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  5. ChivaLRy

ChivaLRy New Member

My dad is ASE cert. So it would be him, maybe my uncle and I. Basically here's my deal, I'm getting married in a couple months and my truck is getting worn out. The tranny is making all kinds of wonderful funny noises and slipping and the engine just isn't making power any more. I need the truck for work so I'd rather fix it than just buy a new one. I'm needing to get something figured out on the cheap, but I want it to last.
  6. Cheap is not going to last. Has your dad ever rebuilt a new generation small block (4.8,5.3,6.0)? They are completely differant from other GM engines. Things like the head bolts are one time use etc. etc. Finding a machine shop that has done alot of machine work is also hard to find. Do your research.
  7. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL New Member

Well, if you geting married...then i guess your old baby is jellous !!!! DO NOT BE CHEAP ON HER...or she will hate you even more !
    Rebuild, i say parts and machining ~ 1500-2000 if you add labor, ~ 3500-4000..like NEW !!!

And tell your fiancee that the truck is worth saving on the marrige, or she has to take your wining after warts for MONTH !! lol
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  8. IPFK83

IPFK83 New Member

Junk yard find yourself a 5.3 and tranny with decent miles on it there you go forget rebuilding it not worth it just my opinion but that's what I would recommend for what your after.
  9. phoebeisis

phoebeisis New Member

You can buy a Genuine GM Performance crate motor 332 hp I think- basically a 5.3 with hotter GM cam and graphite9or moly??) coated pistons for $3600 delivered curbside. THIS IS A NEW MOTOR built by same folks- more or less- that built your original motor.
    It come with a real warranty - it will bolt right in-.
    Rebuilding motors is tricky- takes lots of practice- lots of machine shop work- isn't cheap.Now adays there aren't lots of rebuilders like there was in the 50's 60's and before when motors lasted maybe 75,000 miles and required rebuilds regularly.
    Very few vehicles actually stop working because the motor is worn out- it is usually rust, old age, transmission or AC system that puts paid to 15 yo vehicles not being worth repairing so they go to salvage yard for recycling.
    Yeah find a reliable rebuilder is HARD, and not cheap.
    Buy new GM.
    New or genuine rebuilt GMs motors are CHEAP. This is one of the main reasons folks like older GM pickups/SUVs- cheap to repair.
    You can't buy a new Toyota V-8 for $2000-$4000 - more like $7000-$14,000(Lexus).So expensive no one ever replaces a Toyota motor with a new Toyota motor(they use salvage)
    Forget the complete rebuild.
    You can also buy a Genuine GM trans-new or rebuild- for maybe $2000.
    For $6000+ labor new engine new transmission. Rebuild both maybe $2500+ $2000 but crap shoot on the goodness of motor rebuild(trans usually no proble to find good rebuilder)
    Yeah, so what other suggest.
    PS- Salvage yard engine trans not a bad bet- get low mile ones maybe pay $1500 total for the two- usually works out ok- but lotta work if it doesn't. No good way to evaluate salvage motors when they are in a junk car that doesn't run(pull oil pan, cut oil filter look for metal, pull valve covers look for oil sludge gunk etc)- most-yards don't allow all that.They give short warranty- money back- but still lotta work for nothing if you end up with junk motor.
    PPS Like DAREDEVIL suggests- DON'T CHEAP OUT DON'T CHEAP OUT !! Teach wife to be to not be penny wise pound foolish(besides you can get a performance version with more power than original- nice plus!!- wife none the wiser!!)
    $6000 all new parts- get another 150,000 or more trouble free miles(well other stuff breaks, but just fix it)
  10. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL New Member

OR, you can bring it down here and i will stick a nice diesel in it with LOTS of tourge and power !!!!!! lol
  11. dualdj1

dualdj1 New Member

you're lookin at $500ish for a rebuild kit (that's gaskets, rings, main/rod bearings), 100-150 for an oil pump (always change when rebuilding), and then maybe another 2-300 in assorted seals/parts depending on the shape of your engine. Always tear down first before ordering parts, as you can get kits with pistons if they're worn out. Generally not necessary, but good to know before ordering. cam bearings are $30 if you need them. head bolts are about $30. Should be able to do it with around 900-1000 in parts.
  12. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL New Member

If you rebuild , you want to make it better then stock, so those prices are a joke !!!! just say'n...if i rebuild an engine i would not want the same failures like on a oem engine and we all know to well just from reading here what the problems are !!!!!
    So be smart and only pay once !!
  13. ChivaLRy

ChivaLRy New Member

Much thanks to all the great opinions and advice given here! :)
  14. dualdj1

dualdj1 New Member

nah that's napa pricing, which is what i always use for GM rebuilds and never yet had a problem. Going with cheapo aftermarket sources could be issues, but this will work fine. Obviously if you want to spend more money, you can get better stuff, and if you're doing more than daily driving, then that's worth looking into :p

I'm not familiar with issues related to this engine (i'm a 5.7 guy), so I just provided normal rebuild costs. If there are issues than obviously you want to address those as well.
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2011