1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Rebuilding Project

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by natureboys, Aug 20, 2010.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. natureboys

natureboys New Member

Greeting folks, I am thinking on purchasing a Vehicle to rebuild in my spare time, so i decided to look into salvage auto auction or insurance auto auctions,
    so i found http://easyexport.us/?a_aid=4bfc2493cf522 a lot of there vehicles look like something i can put some time in it but not sure how much i should pay if
    its a little wrecked. so wanted to know if someone has bought a Vehicle from an auction/ or Wherever to fix it up, if so what would be a good price to pay for it.

2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Be careful, some cars/trucks look good but they were underwater from hurricanes or floods. If you can take a door panel off than you can look for a water mark on the inside door. As far as price, every truck/car is differant. Do your homework.

3. natureboys

natureboys New Member

Rebuild Project

Thank alot for the insight, i have been looking at 2004 Chev SSR 5.3l 8
    just have to look at how to repair the title on it, also what would be a good price for something like that? i was thinking like 7-9 but not sure. or is it even worth it?

4. Greg84

Greg84 Rockstar 100 Posts

Another thing to remember with something like an SSR.. There are zero aftermarket replacement body parts made for it and they are few and far between in salvage yards. That means you'll either be buying parts from the dealer or paying to have parts shipped in from who knows where if you can find them. I just did a quick check on car-part.com (its a bunch of linked salvage yards) and there aren't any hoods, fenders, or bumpers for an ssr anywhere in the country right now. And a gmpartsdirect lists the hood as $830 and a bumper cover at $907. A 7000 car with a little front end damage could end up costing you 15-16000 or worse..

5. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I think I would stay away from that SSR. As Greg84 said parts are BIG $$$$. Look for something common like Silverado's and Tahoe's.

6. natureboys

natureboys New Member

Rebuild Project

Well i had no idea about the SSR, i will keep looking on the web for Rebuildable cars