1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Recalled heated windshield washer

Discussion in 'Chevy Avalanche Forum (Escalade EXT)' started by thomcat, Jun 20, 2012.

1. thomcat

thomcat New Member

Anyone still have one of these installed? I've got at least 7 recall notices on this that they want to remove it and give me $100. compensation. They claim that it could start a fire (melted reservoir canister). Always keep the reservoir topped off and have been using it for almost five years, works great in the Winter to take off ice and even in the Summer to take off hardened bug goo and it works just fine.

Love it too much to get rid of it and its $100 toward a trade should I desire to get rid of it.
  2. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

i played with one once. thought they seemed like a ok deal.

Alex
  3. jake's silverado

jake's silverado Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

yup wish my new truck had it. Wife used it all the time.
  4. thomcat

thomcat New Member

I love it!

Found out about a replacement unit on one of these board.AlphaTherm makes an upgrade exact replacement unit for the original GM heated washer units removed under recall. So I finally took my '07 in for the recall and $100 check and bought the replacement unit for about $70 shipped!

Product is from AlphaTherm available at http://alphathermusa.com/heated-wash-models.html

As detailed on the website, the unit they provide is an upgrade that has been redesigned to eliminate defects in the original unit.....what's more it is designed to be installed as an exact replacement in GMs that have has the original removed. Under the recall the original mounting bracket remains...they clip the leads coming from the original heater and leave the connectors intact, use a hose connector to join the input and output washer hoses and probably remove the fuse........I pulled and stored the fuse ahead of time......so you may have to buy a 60 amp low profile fuse if that was removed. Almost as simple as snapping the washer and connectors into the bracket, reconnect the hoses, prime the system, reconnect the connectors and install the fuse and you're ready to go....the lighted OEM dash switch works just fine with it installed.....no more dead switch. You do not have to, but if you remove the four bolts and small reinforcement bracket on the driver's side firewall to gain additional clearance for the install you can install in less than 15 mins. The website has a video and instructions describing the unit and detailing the procedure.

Works great......seems to heat quicker than the original.......goodbye ice and bug goo