Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

reccaps?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by bluestepside64, May 9, 2012.

1. bluestepside64

bluestepside64 New Member

Has anyone put reccaps on their truck before I found a side that has some real nice looking offroad tires but their all reccaps that's why their so cheap I'm just making sure there the way to go if your on a budget

2. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

I used recaps for winter time on a car I had once. They lasted until spring then one slipped a belt. Ive heard that slipped belts is common wich makes sense if the tire is seeing different pressures from the first time it was run. Just my opinion

3. trappinjohn

trappinjohn New Member

I tried it a few years back. The recaps looked just like cooper discoverers. We tried balancing them 3 times, never did get rid of the shake.

4. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Recaps used to be a big revenue producer as most trailer tires on the big rigs were cappped. New technologies and longer tire life of new tires has reduced the consumption of stop gap retreads.

5. Gryphon

Gryphon Rockstar 100 Posts

I ran recaps for several years on one of my old trucks. Not a complaint except when I popped one. It was a sidewall puncture, covered under the road hazard warranty, but the tire shop said they could not get me a replacement of that tread design, so they gave me a different one...three agressive mud tires and one slick AT did not work. Finally got the right tire after griping to corporate. But that's a gripe on the shop, not the tires. Very good tires.

Look at the carcasses. If the carcass is a good brand (mine were Toyo's), and the recap shop is decent, you should have good tires.

But do look around....Tirerack.com and National Tire and Wheel (ntwonline.com) have good selections and prices. I got my Jeep's tires mounted and balanced from NTW at the best price I found anywhere, even shipped.

6. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker Member 2 Years 500 Posts

WTF is a recap??!!! :neutral:

7. Gryphon

Gryphon Rockstar 100 Posts

It is where a shop takes a worn-out tire and applies a new layer of tread over the tire. The old one is ground off, down to the belts, the carcass (sidewalls) is all inspected and a new tread layer is vulcanized on. For the most part, almost as good as new.

Common on semi trucks where a single tire can be over a grand each. Can't use them on steer tires though (by law I understand). When you see tread strips on the highway, that's usually a recap (retread) that let go. They can be a bit more touchy than new tires and will separate if they get too hot due to low pressure, etc. But if taken care of will generally last quite a long time in a heavy truck application. On light trucks they can last nearly as long as a new one.

8. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Young whipper snappers they just dont know how we had to do it back in the day!!!

9. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I used to use them as off road only tires because they allways had issues getting balanced properly, off-road normally we werent driving fast and why chew up an expensive set of tires if you dont have to.
    You still see Semi's using them on drive tires lots of times (against the law to use on a Semi's steer tires) for the price I'm guessing it one way to cut corners and make ends meet.

10. JnBama

JnBama Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

Pieces of tire and treads(Gators) is what you see all over the highway is usually recaps off the drive tires and trailers of semis. Build up heat with low psi and sometimes blow almost like a stick of dynamite, tear off quarter finders , mud flaps and brackets. Seen a tire tread bust through a windshield of a car last year, bet that old lady never tailgated again and lucky no serious injury.