1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Receiving Hitch for 2000 Silverado 1500

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by tlhiv, Nov 16, 2009.

1. tlhiv

tlhiv New Member

I recently acquired a 2000 Silverado 1500 from a buddy, but the truck did not have a receiving hitch. I just purchased a receiving hitch from a salvage yard here in town and just finished installing it. However, I did not see an open connector under the truck to connect the electrical adapter on the hitch to the truck wiring.

Can someone please let me know either (1) where I can find the wiring harness underneath the truck that connects to the wiring harness on the hitch or (2) how I can get electrical to the hitch.

Also, there is something to the right of the license plate that can be removed with my ignition/door key, but I'm not sure what this is (perhaps hydraulic).

Thanks in advance for the advice,

Troy
  2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Welcome to the club!

That little door to the right of the license plate that you have to use your key to open is for your spare tire, it's to keep some one from just coming up and winching the tire down and stealing it. Not all trucks have those on them, two out of my last three trucks had them on there.
  3. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Should look like the pic. Check out etrailer.com for specific info.
    [​IMG]
  4. Eddie Z71

Eddie Z71 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Hi, and welcome to the site!:glasses:
  5. tlhiv

tlhiv New Member

TRPLXL2,

Thanks for that. Now I know.
  6. tlhiv

tlhiv New Member

Should all models have this plug, or is a towing package required? I do not see this connector on my truck, although I do see what appears to be 4 pigtail wires (taped up) where you are indicating. The color of these wires are green, light green, yellow, and white. Perhaps these 4 are what I want.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2009