1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Recent purchase of a 94 C1500

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by smabe, Jan 28, 2012.

1. smabe

smabe New Member

I just purchased a 94 Chevy C1500. Was told the engine was rebuilt and had new brakes and calipers installed. The TBI was replaced with a Holley 650. Since this is the first C1500 I have owned I had a few questions.

The brake pedal feels soft, doesn't change if I pump it and seems to stop ok just feels different than what I am used too. Just wondering if this is the way the pedal feels on this model of truck.

Also there is a little play in the steering wheel normal on these trucks?

Thanks
    Steve
  2. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I know on some older vehicles the brake lines will get fatigued from age. When the brake are applied the lines can expand and give that spongey feel. you may want to look at them while someone else is using the brake while sitting still.
  3. Crispyt

Crispyt Rockstar 100 Posts

I have a 1995 C1500 and my brakes are always a little spongy, but check your rear brake shoes and make sure that they are adjusted correctly and not loose. My truck does have some play in the steering wheel if its off I can move it about an inch and a half or so before it gets tight. Personaly I think I have a worn out pitmit arm or something in the front end but I about an inch or an inch and a half isn't bad. Also You could still try bleeding your brake lines if you susspect that there is air in them still. Start in the back with the brake cylinder thats farthest from master cylinder and work closer when you bleed the system. But I would check your brake drum adjustment first. If your worried about the play in your steering wheel have someone move it back and forth with the engine off and look for any play in the front end.
    Hope this helps a little good luck!
  4. Scott_Anderson

Scott_Anderson Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I just rotated my tires and now my front end feels a little more "loose" than before I moved them.
    Im thinking I may need to have the balance checked on them.
    Grease your tie rod joints and ball joints and check for any looseness in them.

I agree on checking the rear drum shoes and bleeding the system. Being a '94 it wouldn't hurt to just flush out all the old brake fluid anyway with new.
    I change the brake fluid on my m-cycles every year, so if yours is still original I'd change it. It's not that hard to do.
  5. smabe

smabe New Member

Thanks I will checkout everything. I think I have about 1/2 inch or less movement in steering. Since the truck has new brakes I am hoping only need bleeding. I have never owed a full size Chevy other than a 75 C10 about 20 years ago so wasn't sure what was normal for these trucks.
    I had been wanting one of these mid 90's Stepsides for years and when I found this one had to have it. Has some rust on the cab corners but so far that is it.
  6. Chris Miller

Chris Miller Rockstar 100 Posts

Mechanically, your '94 will be very much like your old '75, so there won't be much of a learning curve. There's just a bit more electronics to deal with, that's all.