1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Recirculate button

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by D-rek07, Sep 22, 2012.

1. D-rek07

D-rek07 New Member

I have a 1996 Chevy Cheyenne, single cab, short bed. I was driving through some construction the other day with the windows rolled up, air conditioning on, and recirculate button light was on. I still smelled the tar like my windows were down. Is this normal or is the vent blocking outside air broken?

2. ChevyBoy2009

ChevyBoy2009 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

That is normal..i think?...there will always be some air that gets thru even when you have the recirculate button on...not alot just enough to notice

3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

With recirculate on it shouldnt pick up any outside air, but if the systems doors arent closing all the way (which is a common problem after a while) you'll get outside air in the mix.

4. D-rek07

D-rek07 New Member

So this can be fixed if I take it into a dealer right?

5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Yea a dealership should be able to fix the problem.
    Have you looked under the dash and made sure everythings hooked up right and and moving like it should?
    This could be as simple as a disconnect or maybe debris in the doors path etc.

6. D-rek07

D-rek07 New Member

I can check that. A while ago we took it in because the vent under the dash stayed open the whole time unless you turn the A/C or heater on to the upper vents. We figured out that that was normal but they said the thing that closed the vents that let outside air in was broken so that vent wasn't closing. We told them to fix that but apparently they didn't, so I will find that receipt and take it back.

7. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

A strong smell like Tar or a Skunk you will never block in a Truck like ours..The Strong smell will sep in everywhere..Just live with it and after you pass the area just open the windows..

8. D-rek07

D-rek07 New Member

Also, the air conditioning gets cooler when I am not moving. On the freeway it is a lot warmer. This makes me believe that air from the outside is coming in with the air conditioning.

9. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Quoted for truth...