1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

recomended shock absorbers

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by mike042, Sep 3, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. mike042

mike042 New Member

hey all im thinking its time for new shocks and wonder what ones to get. I just want some good oem style shocks . I just use 04 Tahoe for everyday driving. lot of both highway and city im looking at Monroe reflex shocks. whats your thoughts? oh ya its non air ride. it has the tow/off road pkg
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  2. M-technik-3

M-technik-3 New Member

What suspension do you have now? Air Ride or non air ride? We installed Monroe's to for go the Air Ride Monroe's.
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I would buy bilsteins. I have had the monroe reflex and the reflex mono tubes. The monotubes rode like crap. I now have the reflex and they stink. They are pretty spongy. I will be buying bilsteins in the next month or two
  4. M-technik-3

M-technik-3 New Member

That's the truth Bilstein does build the best and simplest shock out there and if your not happy for an extra 75 they will revalve them anyway you like.
  5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I have only had one issue with them and I have installed hundreds of them for people. A few months back I ordered some from shockwarehouse.com for a clients 2008 durango. The fronts were fine. The rear shocks they sent me were covered in oil. So, I cut the ziptie holding the boot, when you pushed the rod down you could see bubbles coming from around the rod. They sent me 2 more. One of them had the same leak. Then they sent another one. That one leaked also. They finally actually looked at one and made sure it was not leaking when they shipped it to me. The company actually got pretty nasty about it on the phone. I am pretty sure that they delayed sending me that last shock for 2 weeks just to bother me.
  6. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I have 202,000+ miles on my factory Bilsteins and they're still going strong!! Well the fronts are the rear is sagging with age.

I will be replacing my factory ones with a new set of Bilsteins next year or this winter depending on cash flow.
  7. M-technik-3

M-technik-3 New Member

Bilstein will rebuild them for $75 you can drop them a line to there customer service section. I have had two sets re-done for my bmw's and one were custom valved. That's $75 a shock.
  8. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

That's more than new shocks from them for the 90's trucks. New fronts are $67 each and rears are $57 each.
  9. ridick_bowen

ridick_bowen New Member 100 Posts

I'm rocking Bilsteins. I heart em!!!
  10. ChevyBoy2009

ChevyBoy2009 New Member 100 Posts

Ive always had good luck with Rancho shocks...no complaints at all