1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

recomended shock absorbers

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by mike042, Sep 3, 2013.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

i needed longer shocks for my rear end when I did the rear blocks, so i ordered some skyjacker shocks. have no complaints.

Alex

2. Tom Joad

Tom Joad Member

When I got my tahoe, he had OEm shocks and a little bit more of 110k miles.
    I swap them for brand new Bilstein but never fell any improvment in riding.
    Still this floaty feeling....

3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

were the stock shocks on it bilsteins? @Conlan Rose has the stock bisteins on his tahoe with over 200,000 miles on them. Another issue that could cause your "floating feeling" could be if it has the RPO code ZW7 printed on the code sheet inside the glove box door. That indicates "premium smooth ride suspension" if it does have that code and you did not change the rear springs to the new bilstein part number 199021, then the ride will be spongy and on the verge of dangerous... I found that out after I purchased a used truck and the owner changed the shocks and not the springs, then I put a 4500 lb boat and trailer on it. Not fun. I have yet to find an independent auto repair shop or auto parts store that recognizes this information. Many dealership techs never realize it either. they just put the parts on that the parts department hands to them

4. Tom Joad

Tom Joad Member

When I was in LA two years ago, i saw a giant billboard with a commercial for Monroe, asking people to swap their shocks every 50k miles.

I found a picture :
    This is the rear shock I had when I bought it :
    [​IMG]

A picture of both old and new front shock :
    [​IMG]

I've bought a complete set
    at Arnott's. They are Bilstein :
    [​IMG]

My Tahoe is autoride, but the shock are not wired as the original were. I have samll boxes to spoof the on-board computer.

[​IMG]
    No ZW7 code.

5. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

A good set of shocks should last well beyond 50K, maybe that's how long their shocks last LOL. As stated mine have plenty of miles (212,000) on them and still function fine and ride fairly smooth they just sometimes show their age on very bumpy roads and such. If you had auto-ride then you have different springs than some one with normal shocks. You likely will have to do as [MENTION=51590]Pikey[/MENTION] said and swap your springs.

6. Pikey

as far as the floating feeling goes, you are riding on air shocks. If you are looking to tighten up how it corners and eliminate body roll I suggest a front and rear hellwig sway bar. It made a major difference on my truck. Also, you may want to check the bushings in the "lateral track bar" that goes from the axle to the frame on an angle. It can be seen in your third pic.

7. BIGREDDADDY53

BIGREDDADDY53 Rockstar 100 Posts

Looks like I saw a Z55 code there, that's the same as mine (air ride) and a real pain in the ---you can see that Pikey, that's good....Eric

8. Tom Joad

Tom Joad Member

How could I find out the part # ?

Are you talking about the rubber pad at the left of the spring?

Hellwig sway bar.... Is that the easiest solution ?

9. Pikey

no, it is the bar that you can see the end of in the picture. between the shock and spring you can see the end of the bar where it bolts to the axle. But, changing that and adding hellwig swaybars will not change the way it rides over bumps, it will just make the cornering (or handling around corners) tighter. there are only really 2 things you can do with the air ride to change the ride. one is to adjust the link that controls when the air pump turns on. it is pictured in your third picture in the upper left corner, attached to the upper control or trailing arm. I know guys that have disconnected them and turned the connector on the end to adjust the length, therefore adding more air to the shocks. the second is to do away with the air shocks and pump completely and convert to standard shocks by using the bilstein springs #199021. But, since you just installed a set of shocks I don't think that is an option.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  10. Tom Joad

Tom Joad Member

- The bar : got it. Can I loosen the bolt and remove it without fearing anything jump to my face ?
    - What I want is a better handling when driving on secondary roads. I will never have the handling of my Mazda Mx-6 but I want to get closer.
    So far, I should check the bushings in the "lateral track bar" and swap for bigger Sway bars.

I have questions about the airride system but will open a new thread.

thanks for the tips.