1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Recommend me a Fault Code Reader Please.

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Mike Hill, Mar 12, 2011.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Mike Hill

Mike Hill New Member

Hello

I would like to buy a Fault code reader for my 1990 Chev Suburban 6.2.The Local repair shop dose not have one (I live in Norway).

What has worked for you?
  2. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Actually search for OBD1 Troubleshooting here on the website since there isnt a need for a handheld because a paperclip works and will save you the money.
  3. Mike Hill

Mike Hill New Member

I have tried this technique and it has not worked.
    In addition I do not think there is a "Check Engine Light" on my Display.I have shined a powerful Flashlight at the display to attempt to find the "Check Engine Light" no luck.
  4. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Hey Mike, If Caddiac doesn't reply to your question, send him a pm here on the site. He has one & he seems to like it, but I don't remember what brand it is.
  5. auzivision

auzivision New Member

I wonder if you vehicle is not equipped with OBD-I since you live in Norway. Check engine lights and OBD-I stuff originally was a North American thing that eventually was agreed upon and roll out worldwide. Europe 9or maybe even countries) probably has their own standards back then.

You should see a check engine light during the ‘test’ phase of start up. This is after you turn the key but before starting… all the lights on the dash should light up including the CEL if you have it.

The 'code reader' I have is basically just like the paperclip trick. It jumps a certain pair or terminals and the CEL light blinks in accordance with the codes.
  6. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

If you can get craftsman tools in Norway, I got a Scanner fro $299 US from Craftsman that has the adapters for GM, Ford, Crysler, Toyota, etc OBD -1 and OBD 2. I believe the scanner takes 2 AA batteries (I would have to double check) and it has worked well for me.