1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Recommend me a new credit card

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by McClintoc, Sep 28, 2012.

1. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I have two CC's now, both with annual fees. Those are the only CC's I could get a couple years ago with a weak credit score. I had a 620 at the time. Now I am up to 760. With my new score, and having been an excellent customer (never over my limit and never a late payment) with both cards for over two years now, I called them up to see if they would drop my annual fees. Both said no. Both said there was nothing they could do for me, at all. I even spoke with supervisors at both companies, still nothing. I said they could drop my fees and keep my business or lose my business completely and they still said there was nothing they could do for me. OK, so long, nice customer service...

So, I need a new CC, possibly two. Obviously ones with no annual fees and some nice rewards, since niether of my current ones have any rewards. Again, those are all I could qualify for with a 620. Now that I am over 750, I should be able to get just about anything that is out there. What are some good CC's?
  2. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Citibank did that to me with a Sears card..... 29.99% interest, they would not move me to one of their 0.00% 12 or 18 month cards, so I went to the credit union and asked them to transfer the $100 I had on the card at the time (which I pay off each month) and close the sears account out. ( originally opened the Sears card to repair my credit).

I am a much happier person now. Credit Unions are much better than the store or bank Visa's and master cards.
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I use my Discover card for everything I can. (if I can pay for it at the end of the month). I have to buy gas and food, so I figure why not get the cash back bonus for it. We payed for our trip to costa rica with our cash back bonus a few years ago. It is like getting free money for buying things you need. (if you pay if off every month so you don't pay interest) Not all places take discover so we have a visa card that came from my bricklayers union, it think it may be bank one or bank of America. I refuse to pay an annual fee.
  4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I agree with Nak -- go to a local credit union and discuss a Visa or MC through them.
  5. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

See there are so many "clueless" people that the people like us that wake up and want a better deal can't get one from them because they are raking in so much money at those high interest rates, the Sears card was the only one I could get at the time.

Once my credit score improved I wanted a card with a better rate. I asked them a few times each month for 6 months and they kept saying no. I then contacted my credit union and they gave me a much better deal.

Now I get at least 10 mailings a month from Citibank asking me to go back for a 0.00% interest card for 12 or 18 months. I called them up and told them to remove me from their mailing list and when they asked why, I told them that they would not help me out a year ago and that they could go rott in ***
  6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

As was already discussed go to a Credit union, for all your banking needs.
    The credit union I use for my buisness CC (Navy Federal) offers me a 0.00% interest for 18 months with no annual fee's, since I dont keep a balance I've never paid a penny in 10 years of using this card.
    Yea they dont offer me mileage or points but the cards I used to have offered that and I never used it so I dont feel I'm missing out on anything.
    Keep in mind the rewards on your CC need to be paid for somehow, they arent going to be absolutely free.
    One other issue about the freebies on a buisness CC is if you dont correctly claim them on your tax's they can become a problem down the road if the IRS decides to audit you. Ask me how I know sometime!!
  7. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I have a Cabela's credit card. no annual fee, points towards free gear at cabelas. im happy with it.

i think my interest rate is at. 9.9 right now, was at 0% for a year when i first got it (credit wasnt as good then)

Alex
  8. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I've grown up hearing to never buy anything on credit other than a house. But if you fly is much as I do and fly delta look into there credit card it's the only one I got and use it for mainly emergencies or nights out when I blow all my cash. But it's got some good rewards. And sky miles are always a plus
  9. Goldie

Goldie Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

X2 What Sierraowner5.3 said. I've had a Cabela's Card for several years and really like it. However, I make sure I pay it off completely every month ans use only for necessities.
  10. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I would go talk to my credit union (I've had an account there for over 20 years) but the only branches are down in Houston where I grew up. I could try doing it over the phone.