Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Recommended bolts to attach engine to stand

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Breadfan, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Breadfan

Breadfan New Member

Hi folks,

Hope this isn't too odd or easy a question :)

I'm planning on pulling the engine and trans from my 1995 Suburban this coming weekend. The trans is bad due to a case cracked in half, so I figured I might as well just pull the whole thing and take the opportunity to go over the 170k 350, change some seals, etc.

I have an engine stand, and would like to attach the motor to it once seperated form the trans.

Question is - what bolts should I use? I don't think the bellhousing bolts would fit through the attachment "arms" which appear to be a good 2-3" tubes. Also I've heard it's recommended to use other bolts anyway, incase anything bends you don't ruin a bellhousing bolt.

So, has anyone done this on a 350 and what size bolts and or nuts doe you reommend I pickup prior to starting this job?

Thanks!!!
  2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Thread Killer Extraordinaire Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Use bolts with the same threading, but of an appropriate length to go through the stand and get a full bite in the block. I would say use Grade 8 bolts, but if I do something involving bolts, I always use Grade 8 if it's available. I'd imagine Grade 5 would probably hold the motor up, but don't quote me on that. I think a fully built out 350 (block, heads, internals, and maybe even accessory mounts would weigh in the range of 500-600 pounds, so it's always better to go overkill than possibly lose a foot or other appendage to a falling motor.
  3. Breadfan

Breadfan New Member

Thanks! I'm going for Grade 8's to be safe.

Do you happen to know the thread pitch and bolt site (diameter) of the bellhousing bolts?

I'll spend some time toinght searching/googling at anyrate. Thanks!
  4. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

when you get the bolts off take one in to the store and have them match it up with the longer one you need
  5. Breadfan

Breadfan New Member

6. Breadfan

Breadfan New Member

Well last night I got under the truck and pulled one of the bellhousing bolts. (Not one of the converter inspection plate bolts, an actual bellhousing bolt). I think what I found online may be right - 3/8 x 16 thread pitch. But at anyrate I have it and will take it to the hardware store.

It looks like on my engine stand I'll need bolts 3.5 inches long.

We'll see what I can find in Grade 8

Sweet!
  7. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Don't sweat it if you can't find grade 8. Grade 5 will suffice. A grade 5 bolt is plenty strong enough.
  8. olblue91

olblue91 New Member

i just put my 350 on a stand a couple days ago. i used 3/8 coarse thread, about 2" long. they are grade five, and i used four. it is holding up very well.

one thing to remember about grade 5 vs grade 8. grade 5, although weaker, will tend to bend on loads that are too heavy. a grade 8 bolt will tend to break in two pieces, once it reaches its max load. like i said....i used grade five, and it's holding up nicely.
  9. azdrtdog

azdrtdog Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

grade five are the recomended bolt for excatly that reason just make sure you get in at least 3/4 inch for a 3/8 to hold
  10. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I've been using grade 5 bolts for years. After all if the factory uses them to hold the transmission to the engine I would hope they would hold the engine to an engine stand. :)