1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Recommended tires for plowing???

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by 95RedBarn, Nov 17, 2010.

1. 95RedBarn

95RedBarn New Member

Im looking for ppls opinions on what a good tire is to run on my plow truck...95 sierra 4x4 1500. This is my first year plowing and I never run snow tires as I just run what I have. Im not looking to spend much money either seeing as Im pretty much flat broke right now unfortunatly. I live in Eastern Ontario and see a pretty decent amount of snow where I am.

Thanks
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  2. MPC-Silverado

MPC-Silverado New Member 100 Posts

i ran stock 2500 tires most of last winter. they were ok... almost a little to small for what i was doing tho... i got 33" tires for this year to put on in the winter... they should work alot better... if you dont want to blow any money try running what you got and after you made some cash then maybe upgrade
  3. 95RedBarn

95RedBarn New Member

What I have right now are definatly NO GOOD for snowy conditions...nearly slicks, also a reason Im looking for opinions
  4. ridick_bowen

ridick_bowen New Member 100 Posts

Toyo A/T's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  5. randomsandwhich

randomsandwhich New Member 100 Posts

any a/t tire should work well, unless you have money and can afford snow tires.

I have nitto a/t not sure of its snow ability yet, won't know until it snows. My old stock tires which were goodyear wranglers at/s.. horrible in the snow.

maybe cheap tires and run chains? if your local/state laws allow them.

Any tire with deep grooves should work pretty good !
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  6. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Tall and skinny tires are great in the snow. Putting some 235/85 on the 96 Tahoe. Probably going to go with Michelin LTX so I can run them year round. But they are expensive. On a budget, look at MasterCraft MSRs. Or TreadWright retreads with Kedge Grip.
  7. MPC-Silverado

MPC-Silverado New Member 100 Posts

i disagree tall and skinny tires work good in snow but not for plowing... the power need to push and the snow and the straction needed to put the power down just isnt there with thin tires. i hated my stock 2500 tires
  8. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I don't whether to laugh or cry at that statement. How can a 235/85 Load Range E be rated for 3,042 lbs and be very popular in the one ton/towing crowd?

How much plowing have you done?
  9. randomsandwhich

randomsandwhich New Member 100 Posts

Well tall and skinny would give you a less of a footprint -- however, this would put more pressure on the snow, and therefore provide more traction. A wider tire would have a bigger footprint but it would act like a snowshoe and sit on top of the snow with less downward pressure.
  10. mfleetwood

mfleetwood New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I like your snowshoe analogy....definitely helps me understand the answers better.