1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Recovery Straps

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by 1flyfisher, Feb 1, 2010.

1. 1flyfisher

1flyfisher Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

Is a 2 inch 20,000 lbs enough?
    or is a 3" the better way to go.

I never owned or used one.
    My vehicle will be a 1500 savana.
  2. azdrtdog

azdrtdog Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

depends on what your tugging with and against 3" straps are insanely strong but a b!tch to store and i've only broken one 2" strap and that was really hitting a f-250 bellied out in deep mud with 38's (and not a ckecker strap good doubled and stiched 2" the cheap ones are not what they claim)
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  3. 1flyfisher

Well like I said I have a Savana and would imagine if I get stuck the basic 1/2 to 1 ton pickup or 4X4, van or vehicle would be towing me out or I them.
    They have both 2 and 3 " 30 footers at 4Wheelparts.com for less than $30 or so.
    So a 2" er is plenty huh? It would be like $8 cheaper than a 3".
    Also is 20 feet enough or would you recommend 30?

4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I'm always a fan of bigger is better with strap width, I've only broken 2 2" in over 30 years of wheeling and they both had wear spot where they broke. If you can afford the extra go with the bigger one, it can also be used as a tree saver because of the width.Length is a whole different issue that is determined by the terraign your stuck in usually.
    Make sure to get loops and anything else you need to attach the strap to the truck.
    A clevis pin through the hitch works great.
  5. GMClone

GMClone Rockstar

I've been meaning to ask about these myself. My understanding is the difference between recovery straps and tow straps is that recovery straps stretch, which is why they are to be used to pull a stuck vehicle, and tow straps do not stretch which is why they are meant to pull a vehicle that is not "stuck" but just needs a tow. Do recovery straps only refer to pulling out of mud, or would they be used to pull someone out of snow, or a ditch? I'm looking to build up an emergency kit for my truck, and wonder what kind of strap I should have in case I ever need to pull someone out of snow or a ditch. I don't plan to do a lot of mudding, at least not in my truck's current stock state. :) Also, I've heard that straps with looped ends are recommended over hooks, does everyone agree? I see tbplus recommends a clevis hitch, which would make sense for a looped end.

Sorry for the long-winded question, just want to get the right strap to be prepared to help people out. If anyone knows of any other good resources for all of this info, I'd appreciate a nudge in the right direction.
  6. azdrtdog

azdrtdog Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

A recovery strap is just that,something has gone wrong and now the recovery begins be it ditch,mud, cliff. A tow strap is the same width at times but not as thick or beefy and I associate them with hooks not loops loops make a strap very strong ot the attachment points when used with pintles or shackles. A snatch strap when used correctly is desinged to stretch out like a bungee and let the wieght of the other vehicle move the load instead of traction in sloppy messes where there is none but are weaker an prone to moisture and uv rays
  7. 1flyfisher

I'm going to get a D ring and a locking pin for it and leave it in the hitch.
    The 3" is only $8 more so cost isn't an issue.
    What do you mean by "tree saver".

8. 1flyfisher

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  9. Chevyboy96

Chevyboy96 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 100 Posts

I use a 3" with a shackle attached to my hitch stinger....Never had an issue... And Ive pulled out tons of stuck Fords at the river!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:party:
  10. Stealth

Stealth Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

My vote goes for the 2" for now, unless you are adding 48" tires! :rofl:
    Otherwise, the 3" will probably be enough for your needs.