Redneck air conditioner!

Discussion in 'Photo & Video Gallery' started by ChevyFan, Aug 10, 2007.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

2. GM_Guy

GM_Guy Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

I would say.......... hmmmmmmm,maybe he works for this airline:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2007
  3. ChevyFan

I actually think it's a good engineering project, and it probably keeps him cool. I just wonder how much it costs him in extra fuel costs from hitting that AC unit. It might cost him more $$ in fuel over the next couple of years. lol

4. griffon

griffon Member

Uhhh? It looked like rachet straps holding it to his roof... How safe is that?
    Someone might walk off with his dim.. er?? bright idea.

5. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I know people who've talked about doing this, so it doesn't strike me as brilliant, like the news channel was going on about it. I would have been more impressed if he had taken out the old AC system, and disassembled the house unit, and fit it into the car. Probably would be something I would do with the burb, since I'm not going to convert the R12 system into R134. But I'm not going to have a big ole box on the roof.

6. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

don't knock it till ya tried it....In Mississippi it's quite common, with the exception that it's usually a pickup with the unit in the rear window over the bed and a generator in the bed of the pickup. It cools the truck...I wouldn't do it, with the exception of when I would camp in the sub, hang it outta the window :great:

7. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

It definitely has potential. Just could have been done better, and safer.

8. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Sorry this is perilously close to my "T.O.D.". If it wasn't for Crawdaddy giving it the thumbs up.... I'll let it slide:neutral:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
  9. ChevyFan

Well, it jt struck me as funny that this guy made the NEWS!

The guy who helps invent a smaller pacemaker battery, or a new lightbulb that lasts longer while using less electricity ... that's overlooked. The guy who takes a house AC and puts it over his car ... THIS GUY makes the news.

10. MD4x4 Fireman

MD4x4 Fireman Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

now that is DEFF. redneck