Reduce rear sag when towing?

Discussion in 'Towing & Trailer Tech' started by Ridyn, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Ridyn

Ridyn Rockstar 100 Posts

Are there any options out there available to reducing the amount of drop when towing in the rear?

Can we just add stronger leaf springs in the rear, or do I do something like airbag suspension modification for towing?

I'm just curious because I'm doing the leveling kit and I don't want my truck to ride lower in the rear while towing.

2012 Crew cab 1500 with HD towing kit

2. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Do you have load bearing shocks? I have the shocks with springs over them (load bearing) and my truck doesn't sag much.

3. Ridyn

Ridyn Rockstar 100 Posts

Nope, unfortunately my truck only came with standard rear shocks with leaf springs. Where can I find these shocks you're talking about? They sound very good, hopefully not too pricey either.

4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

One issue with overload shocks (also described as coil overs) is they stiffen the ride, these new Chevy trucks ride nice so it's a shame to ruin that comfort factor.
    You could also use Add A Leafs (AAL's) and again it'll ruin the ride.
    The one option you have to maintain the factory ride and stabilize the rear end for towing is air bags, Firestone makes what I feel are the best bags in the buisness but theres a few other manufacturers on the market too.
    Air bags can be intalled as a full kit with airtanks and an onboard compressor (thats able to use air pressure for other chores) or you can install just bags that you'll need to charge up with air everytime you tow then let some pressure out afterwards.
    Yes airbags are more expensive, but in my opinion if you put many miles on your truck you'll quickly tire of the stiff suspension other methods offer.

5. Boonduff

Boonduff Member 3 Years 100 Posts

Stay away from the load bearing shocks. Shocks are meant to damp the movement of the springs, not help support the load. If you use them long enough and haul heavy enough loads I've seen them rip the shock mounts off the frame and or axle. On my Suburban I use the Firestone airbags and love them. When I tow I just pump up the pressure to level the truck and go. When I'm unloaded I run them with no air and enjoy the factory ride. Also, if you're pulling heavy trailers you should be using a equalizer hitch. They will also help level the truck out when towing and some designs have sway control built in.

6. Ridyn

Ridyn Rockstar 100 Posts

Thanks for the input guys, looks like I'll be going with the airbag set up. I am a little on the lazy side and would rather have the luxury of having a compressor mounted into the bed of my truck. I'll be looking into one of those hitches as well, my main concern besides looks is I feel that the truck will be a bit more stable riding close to factory height without the rear sagging lower than the front too much.

7. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The compressors for these systems are small enough it'll mount under hood, the optional battery tray is a perfect place to put it.
    Another factor when towing a trailer is making sure the truck mounted hitch is level with the trailer hitch, depending on trailer height you may need a drop or lift hitch, to much tongue weight will cause the rear to sag and agravate swaying while towing so it's important to get it right.

8. Grizzly Guy

Grizzly Guy Rockstar 100 Posts

I'd take tbplus10s' advice,He's right on the money with the airbag setup.

9. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

What you want is called Roadmaster Active Suspension. It eliminates body roll, wheel hop, sagging springs and is AWESOME for towing a load. Check them out at www.activesuspension.com. Surreal just got one too. Ask him what he thinks of it!

10. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

With RAS installed my (6") lifted truck feels very close to stock in terms of body roll on curves, clover-leaves, and the like. The body roll reduction was immediately noticed after installation. Sagging is definitely reduced while towing, too ... WITHOUT the ride being stiffened nearly as much as it would be with the addition of overload leaf springs. (You cannot, by the way, use RAS and overload leaf springs at the same time; it's basically an overload spring that uses an extension spring instead of a leaf spring.) RAS is one of the best upgrades I've done ... and was very fairly priced around $300ish bucks.

It cost me $315.00 including shipment to my door (it's normally $350ish plus S&H, but I got a heck of a deal through Summit Racing). After talking direclty with Roadmaster prior to installing their equipment, Roadmaster is willing to honor the same $315.00 to the door that I got ... for other GMTC members in the CONUS. The goal is to increase product awareness by getting more product out there. If interested in purchasing the product at that pricepoint you must call Roadmaster at 800-398-5036 and ask for Ryan ... and tell him that you're a GMTC member referred by Moogvo and SurrealOne and that you want to purchase at the $315.00 price point that I got.

I'll be covering this in a review I need to do on the product; I've just not had time to do the write-up. And for the record, I am not affiliated with Roadmaster and I am not monetarily incented in any way by them ... I'm just a happy/satisfied customer.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012