1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Reduce rear sag when towing?

Discussion in 'Towing & Trailer Tech' started by Ridyn, Aug 24, 2012.

1. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

the RAS seems pretty cool too (and not much more than the airbags), but since I have experience with the airbags I will say they are great. I also say that Firestone (firestone industrial not the tire firestone) makes a better bag than airride when I was looking for mine. I really like the firestones on my truck and simple to install.

www.firestoneindustrial.com
  2. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The cool part about the roadmasters is that they install in 5 minutes and come with a 100% satisfaction guarantee. If, in the first 30 days you decide it isn't the best thing you ever bought for your truck, they will give you your money back with no questions asked. That is a pretty solid guarantee! Call Ryan at Roadmaster and at least chat with him before you decide.

Air bags are cool and I am not bashing them on any level, but to install them, you have to mount a compressor, run air lines, wire it all up... Maybe even do some fabrication. You have to manually adjust them unless you install a self-leveling system and they take a bit of time to inflate. The RM self adjusts instantly to changing road conditions and load. It's operation is completely transparent and you will never know it is there, aside from the greatly improved ride... even unloaded. It installs with only 2 bolts per side and without having to take ANYTHING off of your truck to install it (unless you want to take the tire off to make the front nut and bolt easier to access.) In any case, Give Ryan a call! He is absolutely a no-pressure kind of guy. (704) 523-2638. If you get his voicemail, DO leave a message... He WILL call you back!

I have pressured you more than he will! LOL! I do not work for the company and have nothing to gain either way! I am just passionate about these.
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Moogvo is spot-on about the installation being simple. Unload the rear axle, remove the tires, bolt the new units into place, tension the units, replace the tires, and re-load the rear axle. That's it.

This installation is 47.5% prep work, 47.5% post-install work, and 5% actual installation. It took me 2 hours from start to finish ... and that was only because I have locking lugs (for every lug!) that are a complete pain in the butt to put on/off and, the work was being done in a shop that wasn't mine, only hand tools were used, and I was photographing things and making notes.

The actual RAS portion of the installation took ~6-7 mins from emplacement to completion of tensioning. If my truck wasn't lifted, if I had normal lugs and wheels, and if I had been doing this in the shop I normally work in without any photos, I could have done the installation in ~45 mins from start to finish. Add in some air tools instead of hand tools and I'd dare say it's a 30 min job...

I should also add that there's very little to go wrong here -- compared to air bags which have a lot that can go wrong (from comprssor to air lines to wiring to the bags, themselves). Also, the need for the compressor, lines, potentially a larger alternator to run the compressor if yours is insufficient, etc -- are potentially hidden costs to air bags that the RAS doesn't have.

Oh, and if it matters for some, the RAS is 100% made in USA. It's an operation out of Charlotte, NC...
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  4. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I think they should hire us, Surreal!
  5. Ridyn

Ridyn Rockstar 100 Posts

Ahhh there's so many good reviews hard to choose one!
  6. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

The air bag guys and the active suspension guys are giving you good advice, but if you are towing a large trailer with a heavy tongue weight, you need to listen to Boonduff and look into an equalizing hitch. It spreads the tongue weight onto the four truck wheels, as well as back onto the trailer wheels.
  7. Ridyn

Ridyn Rockstar 100 Posts

Yeah, I'm already looking at what options are available. Should I wait until I get my suspension set up or should I go ahead and jump on this? I'm pretty much towing at my trucks towing capacity 3-4 days a week.
  8. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

This, too!
  9. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

If your pulling that much weight, the hitch is the first thing I'd add. Getting the weight spread over all wheels will get rid of the sag. In fact, you can actually over adjust the chains so that the rear is higher with the trailer on that when off.
    And, the same hitch will be used with, or without the air bags.
  10. Ridyn

Ridyn Rockstar 100 Posts

Thanks for the input I'm going to be jumping on this asap.