1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

reduced engine power

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by millerahf, Jun 1, 2009.

1. millerahf

millerahf New Member

wondering if anyone can give advice.

Bought 2005 suburban with 38K miles on it about 6 months ago.

After 2 months check engine light and reduced engine power went on.

Took it to the local dealer in Norfolk Va.
    Codes showed throttle body issue and part replaced.
    2 weeks later same issue, took back in and had the "wiring" replaced per senior GM tech advisor.

Ran fine until over the weekend when I was towing my boat across the cheasepeake bay bridge with the ac on and it powered down to max of 10mph in the first tunnel....lots of fun...Turned engine off and restarted it and it ran ok for about 30minutes with ac on and same thing. May be coincidental but once i turned the ac was turned off it did not happen again, but i was turned around by that point and was close to home. CK engine light off and reduced engine power off this am.

Fuel to the flame......Turns out when the truck was under warranty from prior owner and the throttle had already been replaced about 10K before i bought it....although i did not see record of this on car fax!

Any rec's on what the real problem may be?
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2009
  2. heavy chevy

heavy chevy New Member 100 Posts

The catylitic converter may be stopped up. Or you could have a vacume line on wrong or off.
  3. Crakums_GT

Crakums_GT New Member 100 Posts

I'm thinking it may be a MAF problem. I've heard of power issues due to a problem with the mass airflow sensor. That may have caused the code for throttle body issue. I still consider myself a novice on EFI engines though so it's just a thought. I'm probably way off but it may be something to look into. Are there any other symptoms that you notice? Noises, smells, etc...?

-Greg
  4. millerahf

millerahf New Member

thanks for the insight....spoke to dealer yesterday and they said "more wiring needs to be replaced"....which sounds to me like they are not sure what is really going on with the truck.....in response to the early suggestions....there has been no abnormal noises or smells and the truck runs fine btwn these recurring episodes.....i appreciate the suggestions.....better ideas then the "pro's" have offered.
  5. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

A throttle body will not cause intermittent problems like that. You have an electrical problem. What code set the second time it screwed up?
  6. millerahf

millerahf New Member

will check the codes when i pick it up and let the group now...again thanks.