Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Reduced Engine Power

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by carson790, Mar 9, 2011.

1. carson790

carson790 New Member

2003 Silverado 1500 4X4 5.3L 93000 miles

I started my truck today after it had been sitting for five hours while i was in school. and it was a little hard to start, then when it did start, the service engine light came on and the cluster read "Reduced Engine Power". it idled at about 1000 rpm. had no throttle control at all. i shut it off, let it sit for about 5 minutes, started it back up and the service engine light was still on but i had throttle control now. does anyone know what would cause this? and is an easy fix that i could do myself?

2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

You need to get it scanned for codes. Find a scanner that does transmission codes also.

3. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

You need to get the codes pulled for the check engine light before we will be able to help. Otherwise it is just troubleguessing which is just an expensive way to build a new truck.

4. carson790

carson790 New Member

yeah i am going to the dealer by my place tomorrow morning, i will keep you guys informed on what codes come up

5. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I wonder if it could be a dirty MAF sensor. When they get dirty they can send strange signals to the trucks computer. I would get some CRC MAF cleaner, its in a silver can. Don't use anything but MAF cleaner!! Its about $4-$5 a can. Its a cheap try and even if thats not the problem the MAF's should be cleaned at LEAST once a year.

6. carson790

carson790 New Member

the codes that popped up when it was plugged in today are: P0120, P0220, P1125, P1516, P2120 and P2125. the dealer said i need a new TAC harness and a new accelerator pedal. im gonna look for a cheaper accelerator pedal online and put it in my self. i dont know about the harness, maybe buy it online and have them put it in cause i have no idea which way it is routed

7. jreagan

jreagan Rockstar

I'd start with the pedal first to see if that resolves it. Actually I think the sensors on the pedal can be replaced without replacing the entire pedal unit. Check out a parts diagram online.

8. carson790

carson790 New Member

im gonna replace the pedal assembly. around a hundred bucks, with the discount through my school i am going to.

i looked at the assembly and the sensor has about four or five rivets holding it on. i dont have anything to get them off so i am gonna get the whole assembly