Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Refinishing or new wheels?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by KyleZ71, Dec 17, 2012.

1. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

Hello again everybody. My wheels on my silverado right now look... well like crap. I've tried to clean them up myself but they still look terrible. Im pretty sure a car wash detergent stained my wheels to the point of no return. So now I've had it and came to the conclusion of refinish or replace. A company close to my college will fix the imperfections, paint them, and clear them to make them look like a brand new glossy wheel for 150 a wheel. I know that sounds a little high but I want new looking wheels not used from a junk yard. Since my truck is a blue and silver two tone it's hard figuring out what wheels would look good with it. What looks good with the silver usually doesn't look good with the blue. Since I am at college I do not have access to my tools or a place to strip the wheels and get them powder coated. What do you all think?

2. 1953bowtieguy

1953bowtieguy Member 2 Years 500 Posts

[MENTION=30153]kyle[/MENTION]Z71 are they chrome? Have you used an SOS pad on them?

3. KyleZ71

No these are the stock wheels for a 2002 silverado (my 03 wheels were abused by previous owner) 047.jpg

4. 1953bowtieguy

So what is wrong with them, i really can not see what is wrong?

5. KyleZ71

If you look hard you can see some whitish discoloration in the wheels. It honestly looks like someone spit on the wheels and let it dry. This can not be removed. Tried polishes, waxes, clay, wd-40, white vinegar, all to no result.

6. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Use them for winter and hunting season and get some nice rims for summer..

7. KyleZ71

well you see I already have my 2003 wheels sitting around waiting to do the same thing. Everytime I look for wheels I can not find ones that I like due to the two tone. I'd like to stick with the stock wheel size as I have a set of brand new tires on it right now. I've tried looking for two tones with wheels but no result

8. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

you have a lot of chrome on the truck so a nice polised or chrome rim would look nice for the Summer Bling season I have my stocks on now for the next 4-5 months with the org tires. My chrome rims have the used tires I got off of Craigslist for $140.00 they will last me all of next Summer...

9. 1953bowtieguy

Ya i think if you get some good stock ones youd be happy with the way it looks.

10. ChromeSilver02

ChromeSilver02 Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

I say keep those for winter and try to find the same stock wheels (if you like them enough) for the summer that look nice and new. I am sure you can find some for cheap online these days. You can even paint the ones now rattle can black and save up during the winter for nicer ones for summer.