1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Refurbish older vehicles [Expired Topic]

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by dbledsoe, Apr 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbledsoe

dbledsoe New Member

I have a 1994 GMC Suburban that I bought new 220,000 miles ago. I replaced the transmission at 200k, but the engine is still doing good. No oil added between changes. I want to refurbish it and start over but everybody tells me that's a dumb idea. Does anyone know of a place I could send it and have all new "stuff" put in it?
    If I could paint it and replace the carpet and upholstery, new engine, transmission, etc., I would be happy to keep it another quartter million miles.
  2. OldDiesel

OldDiesel Rockstar 100 Posts

That's a lot of new "stuff" to do for an old truck... Best thing to do probably for the interior is to call up a couple of local body shops and see who they sublet their interior work to. Most body shops won't get into re-upholstery of the seats, but they should be able to hook you up with the new carpet. Remember when it comes to paint, you almost always get what you pay for! In short, if you're talking about another 1/4 million miles, you'll wanna find a small "mom & pop" body shop that has plenty of cars in process, but not a whole lot of stuff out in the lot. Be prepared, a lot of these shops won't be the most "customer friendly" looking places, but that just means that they spend their money on their people. The body and paint techs in these places are usually long timers with a lot of experience. Always ask to see some of their completed work. You want the shop to take off the moldings, handles, lights, and trim, not just mask them off. In order to be done properly for a long term finish, the glass needs to come out too. How much do you want to put into this truck, the stuff I've outlined above is probably going to run you between $5000-$7000 with the paintwork on the truck taking up about half to two thirds of that amount. Of course that also assumes that you don't have any rust or body damage to contend with. Hope that helps...
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

People who will tell you it's a dumb idea obviously don't enjoy the suburban or what it has to offer.
    I imagine that the people who wanted to refurbish their purchased new GTO's were probably told it was a dumb idea too. I hate to say it, but I think that we're going to see the larger vehicles go the way of the Dino, with gas prices going up, and the strict fuel economy regulations being enforced on newer models. For example the Ford Excursion is no longer in production due to falling sales. So if you love your 'burban, make it a happy 'burban, and restore it now, while it's not considered a rare commodity. Because later on when it's a collectors item it will cost you more, for parts, and work.
  4. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

What Trail Leader said!
  5. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Burb

Forgot

200,000 miles

Hell it's just geting broke in. My 86 has over 350,000 miles and still runing strong. The wife said I go before the old girl.

But I do have to put new rocker panels and paint on her so I guess I'm safe for a while longer.
  6. dbledsoe

dbledsoe New Member

I figure I can spend $10-15,000 on it and have a new truck. I can'y buy one for that. Besides, tags (property tax) in MS on a new Burb cost about $700 a year. On mine they cost about $20, and they don't care how much I spend on it. Old is old, as I am realizing more every day.
  7. OldDiesel

OldDiesel Rockstar 100 Posts

I don't want anyone to get the idea that I think that it's a bad idea, I just wanted to make sure that what you want to do is within your budget expectations. Sounds like it is, and I wish you best of luck with your project! If you're gonna spend the money on it anyway, you should look into some custom touches too, No better time than while you've got it all apart anyway!
  8. MN_Burbon

MN_Burbon Rockstar 100 Posts

Sounds like a great project, I am doing that a little bit at a time on my '95. As for the seats, if your handy you can drop in some new leather seats from Ebay or a truck accessory vendor for around $800 Front buckets and Middle row. There are a lot of carpet kits out there. I agree a good local body shop would be a good place to start. To get the most for you're money though I would take it in there pretty well stripped down it will be cheaper that way and the demo work is easy.
  9. Guest

Guest Guest

Awesome advice! :D

I agree, you won't be able to touch a new 'burban for that amount of money. May as well make it as new as possible, while spending 1/3 of the cost.

Good luck, and please keep us posted on your progress!! :mrgreen:
  10. beastsuburban

beastsuburban New Member

WE are refurbishing ours as well. We have an 88. Does anyone know how old a vehicle has to be before it is considered "classic". Everything is orginal, needs new carpet and headliner but the rest is in decent shape. Held up pretty good for its age.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.