1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Reg Cab dome light won't turn off

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by AnimalYates, Aug 25, 2011.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. AnimalYates

AnimalYates Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

Hey guys, I got in my truck last nigh, and the dome light just wouldn't go off. I think it usually shuts off in about 10 seconds or so and I waited and it never went off. I even pushed my dome light button and nothing happened. I turned my truck off and waited about a whole minute and it was still on. I eventually had to disconnect the wires from the light to get it to go off as it was getting so hot.

I have no idea why its doing this. Any suggestions? I'd realllllllly prefer not to have to take it all the way back to my dealer (45 minute drive) for the fix.

2. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I would suggest checking your wires for the dome light in the roof, up the pillar to the left of the windshield, and under the dash. The dome light has constant power and a switched ground, so that means the problem would have to be a short in the ground wire or the lamp assembly causing the ground wire to be grounded to the truck.

3. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Another item to check, after the Override (Dome) Button and that is turning the Thumbwheel, located next to the Exterior(Headlights) Lamps Control, If all the way up, In this position, the Dome Lamps will remain ON whether the Doors are Opened or Closed.

4. GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Keep me updated in regards to your progress. Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions in the meantime. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

5. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

X2.....mine has a button for the dome light above the dimmer switch...which can give you the opposite problem..the dome light won't come on!

These problems are often easy amd its the last thing you check! K I S S - keep it simple stupid. (not calling you stupid!)....just a saying someone use to tell me. :)

6. AnimalYates

Well problem solved lol. I never knew that the dimmer switch had any effect on the dome light. It was turned all the way up all I had to do was reconnect the light and I turned the dimmer down and everything works perfectly. I guess you learn something everyday. haha. I feel stupid!

7. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

This happens more than you realize. Isn't it awesome when the fix turns out to be something so easy?? It'd be nice if more problems were solved in this manner!

8. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

No worries, just think how silly you would have felt taking it to the stealership.

9. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The Thumbwheel also Controls the Dash lights for the Gauges, so if your Dash Light's are low say at night time, just turn the Thumbwheel up to give the Dash(Gauges) more light.

10. AnimalYates

I knew that they control the dash lights and gauge brightness but I never knew that it had anything to do with the dome light. I like my gauges bright so I had it allllll the way up lol. Guess I know now.