1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Relocating the spare tire

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by ct9a, Jul 24, 2008.

1. ct9a

ct9a New Member 1000 Posts

Anyone know if there's a way (maybe a kit) that would allow me to relocate the spare tire from inside the rear cargo area to somewhere else? I would like to have a swing away or maybe mount on top in the rear. I figure once I get larger tires, I'd have to do something like this anyway, plus I need as much interior cargo room as possible.
  2. esponet

esponet New Member

you can get a "better" roof rack and just put it there.
  3. ct9a

Have any suggestions on brand?
  4. zippy

zippy Member

Here you go...

[​IMG]
    How about the "Hitch Gate"? It's a universal swing-away tire carrier that mounts to your receiver hitch.
  5. ct9a

Wow, that thing is really expensive. Almost $700 for it. Very cool though, I may end up having to cough up the dough for it.
  6. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Active Member 1000 Posts

If you have mpg concerns don't ever put anything on the roof.We used a roof basket in our 2003 Pilot for 2 long trips New Orleans-Flagstaff-New Orleans of 3000 miles each. It got 15.9 mpg with that freakin' roof basket! New EPA ratingis 20 hy.

By comparison when I cobbled together a carrier that I supported with a swing out bike carrier it got 22.25 same trips. Further comparison the 1998 Suburban that replaced the Pilot -because of $$ problems we sold the Pilot for $16,000 and bought the Suburban for $2950 -the Suburban got 21.3 mpg and 21.2 mpg on the same trips.Obviously I'm very happy with the Suburban-I put $13000 in my pocket, only gave up 1 mpg ,and have 50% more interior volume.The Pilot was a very good vehicle, but there is no substitute for BIG when traveling.Big interior= Comfort when traveling and sleeping in the cargo compartment like we do.

Use any sort of hitch carrier before using the roof.The aero profile of the Suburbans is better than it looks, but a wheel on the roof will kill all GMs good work and cost a good 2 mpg on the highway.

Charlie
  7. zippy

zippy Member

Yes, it's expensive. I was trying to illustrate the concept with their graphic, not the product. You could probably have something quite like if made-up. I wouldn't use the actual receiver to anchor the thing, but the cross tube of the receiver assembly (if your hitch is like mine). It's more stable, eliminates one bend, and leaves your receiver free. Latch, hanger and hinge hardware can be salvaged from any number of donors. As a final touch, paint it to match. Why pay for a "universal" accessory when you can have a purpose-built one that's better and cheaper?
  8. zippy

zippy Member

AMEN!
    That's why I have one of the few Burbs without a roof rack. If I can't fit it in the Burb, then it can stay home. On its first real road trip, in addition to our normal travel gear, we took a piano and a bicycle from SoCal to Seattle.
  9. ct9a

Guess it's time to learn to weld. :great:
  10. zippy

zippy Member

Oh, no!
    Please, find a competent welder... you can always learn to weld on someone else's truck. ;-)