1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Remainufactured parts?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by silleffej, Dec 27, 2010.

1. silleffej

silleffej Member

Has anybody had any luck with remainufactured parts on their trucks? I put a remain distributor on my 1990 GMC Seirra 5.7L and the darn thing will not stay timed. It is bouncing about 4 degrees off, 2 degrees either way. It doesn't seem to be effecting general performance to bad but I just wonder what the truck could do with precision timing. Just wondering if anyone has had the same problem?
  2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Are you timing it with the brown wire unplugged??? There are a few threads that talk about timing in these motors since you cant just put them in and time them you have to unhook a wire and go from there because the computer controls the timing for the engines needs.
  3. silleffej

silleffej Member

yes, I had a local mechanic do it with his professional timing light. The wire to the computer was disconnected. He also stated they have had a bunch of trouble with remain distributors because the shaft is never re-magnitized. They only use brand new factory distributors $$$$$$. I will probably stick with this one but I know it is not supposed to be doing that and will effect performance a little, but I am not a hot rodder so I will probably hardly notice it.
  4. murdog94

I didnt have any issue with the three that i have put in different trucks, however a little bit of play is most likely a LOT less than what you had before... And the computer can compensate for that little bit...
  5. silleffej

silleffej Member

hope so appreciate it! It hasn't died again since I put it in so I hope it fixed the other issue with the truck! fingers crossed!
  6. murdog94

Should be good to go... and the PCM can handle i think 4 degrees of variance each way before there is a problem.
  7. stephan

stephan Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Sill, I haven't had any problems with reman "hard parts" dist,TBI, w.p. fprs etc.
    Your 4 degrees of timing variation is because of verticle shaft endplay!! If it gets worse, take it out & shim it.
  8. silleffej

silleffej Member

also, just curious but it did not jump on the number 3 wire, only the number 1. Does this mean I have a bad spot or something in that particular wire? Also, he had the hold clip loosened the entire time he was testing. Should I get it re-tested with the bolt/clip tightened? would that matter?

Thanks, I am still learning!
  9. stephan

stephan Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Only doing it on the one wire is certainly suspect. I would try switching a couple wires around & try it again. See if the problem follows the wire or stays with the #1 cylinder.
    As far as the distributor hold down being loose while he timed it/checked it, it shouldn't have any effect on it unless he was bumping it around accidently. I usually leave them a little snug, but it's not necessary to be completely tight while you're checking/setting, just so he didn't forget to tighten it when he was done.
    Sill, you sound like you know enough about this stuff that you could be doing it yourself instead of paying the mechanic to do it. You should take the money you spend at the shop & buy your own light & other tools so you can do these things yourself. You will be money ahead in the long run & you'll have all your own tools.:great:
  10. silleffej

silleffej Member

he didn't charge me to do this....he charges only $15.00 normally to time vehicles. alot cheaper then $150 for a decent timing light if you ask me!