1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Remember the days of old 4WD?

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by ChevyFan, Apr 28, 2005.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I used to have an old Jeep CJ5 and i remember having to get out and lock the hubs to get into 4WD. How nice is it to just be able to turn a knob or push a button and thats it? :)

Ahh, the wonders of modern technology! :)
  2. 99yukon

99yukon New Member

it was nice

I think I would still like the old technology in mine. The cost to repair the new stuff is rediculous and GM can't seem to make a 4WD switch that lasts....
  3. Aeropagus

Aeropagus Member Platinum Contributor 100 Posts

Wonder if that is on purpose? SOme of the stuff that is built into the new cars and trucks and SUVs doesn't add much, but it adds the chance that it will break. Like 4- wheel steering.
  4. ppettit2005

ppettit2005 New Member

4WD

yeah, having a switch to turn on your 4X4 system is just too lazy for me... I've got a 1995 Tahoe two door 4X4 and I don't have to get out and turn the switch on the manual hub and then shift into 4 wheel drive, but I don't have to just flip a switch. Instead I have what I beleive is a good compromise of the two systems. I have what looks like a manual transmission shifter on my floor board in palce of a center console, and all that I have to do is shift my transmission into nuetral and then shift the lever in to 4-Low mode and then shift back into drive with my transmission. It's not as much work as getting out and fiddling with manual hubs, but it's more work than flipping a switch. Plus it's really really durable, unless you don't follow the directions on the shift gate and abuse the thing... My year model and the one before are the only ones that I can find so far that have this system though. The model produced 2 years before mine was the Blazer, which had a manual 4 wheel drive hub type of system, and the model after mine had an electric switch mounted on the dash. So I'm quite happy with what I've got, but I also wish that they would go back to this system, because just flipping a switch doesn't even feel like real 4 wheel drive to me.
  5. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Wow, this is an old thread!
  6. Eddie Z71

Eddie Z71 Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Yes it is Steve! It does make you think about the old days! lol!
  7. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

This thread made me think about the last new 4x4 truck I bought in 99.
    The dealer told me that manual locking hubs werent available on new trucks, I almost didnt buy the truck because of that reason, 3 days after I bought the truck a friend and I were in the garage installing manual locking hubs on it.
    Manufacturers shoulda just left things alone I think they'd be surprised how many consumers prefer manual locking hubs over automatic hubs or how many consumers would be willing to take the manual locking hubs rather than pay for auto hubs because they know they'll never put the truck in 4wd.
  8. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Ive had both systems and they for sure both have their ups and downs. Like when i drove from northern IL, to Duluth MN, in 4wd with over a foot of unplowed snow on the road. I simply put my 02 Z-71 in 4Hi at 70mph and let her Rip... But i had a 91Chevy that the 4wd wouldnt engage with out a massive amount of time fiddling and even then you werent sure. But my 95 F-150 had manual Hubs, and Shifter i knew i had 4wd when i wanted it!
  9. KidHauler

KidHauler New Member 100 Posts

Yea, somebody pushed the 'way-back' button.

My '75 Jimmy had full time hubs and a floor shift - it was nice for just heading to the field when you wanted to. The '99 is a floor shift, too, but I just know theres some electronic do-dad underneath waiting to fail.
  10. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

HAHAHA.. Good one!:lol::rofl: