1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Remember to clean those Sunroof Drains!!!

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by Kady, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Kady

Kady Rockstar GMTC Chick 100 Posts

So, about a year ago, I noticed that my passenger side seat, and floor were completely soaked after a big rainstorm.. Saw that it was coming from the sun roof, and thought I hadn't shut it all the way. Well, it would continue to happen every time it rained heavily... So I assumed then that I had a bad gasket. I also noticed that it would only leak when my truck was parked in the street, with it leaning more toward the passenger side... When I would park in the driveway, (which would cause it to lean more toward the driverside) no wetness... So one day, I had parked in the street, with a big rain storm, I went outside and expected to see a leak. There was nothing... That was only until I put it drive and headed up the hill. The water came pouring down on to the seat (and me) That was enough to get my researching the subject to figure out what the hell was going on!

To my surprise, there are sunroof drains (I had no idea). The moral of this story is to check them often and keep them clean. Take the compressor to em, and blow em out. and keep them free flowing...
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Wonderful suggestion [MENTION=24589]Kady[/MENTION], I'm all for it, but a suggestion from a hard learned lesson. The drain holes (there is one in each corner) are usually metal, but the drain is a piece of plastic tubing. My only caution, with the air, is be careful. If the drain is plugged, the air could blow the tubing off the drain nipple.
  3. marksoldtowne

marksoldtowne Member 1 Year

hi
    This area is usually where you feel the water's highest point, and underneath the floor mats will be nice and warm and soggy. And eventually will start to smell if left unattended. Cleaniness of sunroof drains is necessary for avoiding blocking.