Remember your first car?

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by BornAgainBiker55, Mar 17, 2017.

1. BornAgainBiker55

BornAgainBiker55 Rockstar 100 Posts

I passed by a junkyard the other day and noticed a heap similar to the first car I owned, a 1990 Isuzu Trooper 4x4. I remember paying out $500 for it, cash, in 2000. I remember it's untimely demise of an idiot kid not taking care of it and needing over $3,000 in repairs after thinking we were both invincible vs any terrain in existence. Shockingly, rocks are stronger than a steel bumper. It was towed away for parts.

Then I thought it could be fun to just reminisce about our first car here. I googled some pictures that are the same model / color for grins too. 1990 Isusu Trooper Front 3-4.jpg 1990 Isusu Trooper Interior.jpg 1990 Isusu Trooper Rear 3-4.jpg

thegawd likes this.
  2. garagerog

garagerog Member

I'm old so bare with me, first car after I graduated HS in 67 was 64 Impala 2 door hardtop,327 with slip and slide. Don't believe those old back seat tales, there was actually more room in the front bench seat once you navigated around the steering wheel. Nice feature of the 62-65 impalas was a built in bottle cap opener under the steering column, there was a notch there with a sheet metal screw that had no purpose other than to pry a bottle cap off. I always surmised that the engineer that designed that steering column liked his brewskis.

thegawd likes this.
  3. thegawd

thegawd Rockstar 2 Years 1000 Posts

Around 1999 I had a 1980 Malibu Classic, small crappy tired v8, no balls but it was always reliable and it sure was a great car! it was light metalic blue, had all the chrome and zero rust. The rear windows didnt roll down, not sure if it was a cop car that had the original motor removed or if just the rear doors were off a cop car. I loved that car and hoped to one day put a nice new big motor in it but my buddy stole it one night n destroyed it!!! I was pissed! Every now and then I find myself looking them up, I want another but with a 5.7 vortec in it! That would be awesome!

Edit... I just found a pic, its not mine but this is exactly what she looked like except mine was a 4 door.
    Al

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  4. Paladin

Paladin Active Member 2 Years 100 Posts

My first car was a 1974 Chevy Vega hatchback similar to this one.

[​IMG]

I bought with my own money the beginning of my senior year in high school in 1980. Sadly it did not last long. Turns out the cylinders were badly pitted and I did not have the money to rebuild the engine. I ended up selling it for parts.

5. RayVoy

RayVoy Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

'55 Canadian Pontiac..........4 door, Chev 265, 3 on the tree.
    $300 and a lot of TLC.
    Rebuilt everything but the rear-end.

Traded it on a '60 Canadian Pontiac about 6 months later.

6. CaptBob

CaptBob Member

I sure do, 1970, a sophmore, with a 61 Impala convertable, 283 Power glide. I was sitting at the cool table,, and had me a nice dating machine, air shocks chrome rims 14" front 15" deep dish 8" on the rear. It got me by till I got my first part time job a year later and then lookout,, the first one I bought was a 1968 GTO, Midnight Blue, 400 W/ 4 gear with 4:33 gears, Crager SS,,, pretty dang quick,, and true Babe Getter my junior year!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    P-Dub likes this.
  7. squatchy

squatchy Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Remember it? Still got it! 84 k20 with more donor parts than I care to remember

Attached Files:

thegawd and RayVoy like this.
  8. xPosTech

xPosTech Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Mine was a 63 Corvair Monza I bought in Feb. of 66 while stationed at Keesler AFB in Mississippi. I paid $700 for it and wore it out driving home to Beaumont and back every weekend. One Sunday night just outside Baton Rouge the accelerator went to the floor and my lights got real dim. I glanced in the rear view mirror and saw nothing but sparks.

That was at 11:30 pm. I had to be at the base at 0600 so I thumbed a ride down. A very nice couple stopped and took me to the base for a tank of gas in Baton Rouge and another in Biloxi. The next day I got a phone book and found a mechanic who would tow it to his shop and fix whatever was wrong. I caught a ride the next weekend with an airman from Houston.

The repair bill? $39.00. That flipped me out. I asked him what all he did. The main motor mount at the rear broke which sat the motor on the ground. He replaced the motor mounts, accelerator linkage, some wiring and straightened some bent sheet metal.

When I asked him about the low price he said: "Well I know you guys don't make a lot of money cause my son is in Viet Nam. He's a Loadmaster on a Herky Bird." That's a C-130 Hercules.

Anyway when I got orders in June for Mt. Laguna, Cal. my folks talked me into buying a new car, fearing the Corvair wouldn't make it across the desert. I had already decided I would never buy another Corvair. But after driving it I bought a 66 Corvair Corsa. It made the trip across the desert several times. I wish I still had it.

Ted

thegawd likes this.
  9. RayVoy

RayVoy Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Ted, some good memories, my 3rd car was a '64 Monza convertible. Wife learned to drive in that car. She and the 2yr old drove around with the top down, the baby standing on the back seat.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    P-Dub, thegawd and xPosTech like this.
  10. Randy Shannon

Randy Shannon New Member

cool! I did have a 64 Impala convertible...although not my first car...