1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Remote door unlock options...keys locked inside vehicle

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by kennyb79, May 27, 2013.

1. kennyb79

kennyb79 Rockstar 100 Posts

So today, with the help of my 9 year old we detailed the yukon, inside and out. Got all finished, closed the doors only to realize the keys were now locked inside. I don't have the spare fob, and of course the key doesn't work in the locks anmore, so I had to call roadside assistance and wait an hour.

heres my question, and something I've dealt with since we discovered keyless entry...what is a guy to do to prevent this from happening. in the old days I always had a spare key behind the license plate, but that won't work nowadays because the locks always seem to rust up from lack of use.

is there any way to rig up a push button switch somewhere that would trigger the doors to unlock? the wifes ford has push-button combination on the door, I love that idea. can something lime that be rigged up or purchased for a vehicle now?

2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I don't have a copy of your wiring diagrams, but usually the switches switch ground (apply a ground to operate a relay).

If you have a LOCK, and an UNLOCK relay, all you need to do is operate the UNLOCK relay.

If we had a copy of the lock/unlock circuit, we could come up with a push button somewhere.

The trucks without Body Control Modules have a complex mult-switch for the driver's side, but all we need is to open one of the other doors.

3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

And thats why I have a Slim-Jim tucked up along my frame rail.
    Yea its a lot harder to operate with newer model vehicles but not impossible, Ive been in my 2011 Silverado twice now, one time to make sure it could be done and one time because I have a 9yr/old grandaughter that doesnt listen to me.
    A door locks purpose isnt to stop a thief, it's to slow down or disuade thieves that arent as ambitious and dedicated.

4. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Note to self : Next time I'm in Grand Prairie, Tx look for tbplus's truck He keep a slim jim under it and I know how to use it.. Open door and leave a Old Banana on the seat....:gasp:

Yes you can get a hidden button you can also get a Code button set up like on some of the fords..The Best thing is Always keep the key in your Pocket when I shut my doors it does NOT lock till I lockit. My spare key is always in my bedroom if I do need it..

5. tbplus10

Thats not even original, your a long way off from being the first to leave a nasty surprise in my truck.
    Once had a friend accidently leave his Baloney sandwich in my truck as we were leaving on a six month deployment, decomposing baloney sandwiches develop gasses that can pressurize enough in the hot Virginia summer to blow open the zipper on a Glad zip lock sandwich bag.
    The odor never leaves the interior no matter how many little pine trees you hang from the mirror.

6. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

hahahahahahahahaha. That's what I was thinking, you beat me to it.

7. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Well there was this PIA Customer I had that we put Dog Crap behind his brake pedal...:rofl: Man did that smell...

8. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I love it when a plain-jane thread goes hysterical. :great:

9. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

I was in Walmart once and these girls came up to my buddy and me while we were looking at sporting goods. Here the one girls boyfriend cheated on him and they were going to destroy his truck :'( They ended up by lunch meat to put on the hood, sardines to put in his air vents, doe urine to soak through his seats, and stink bait to put under the floor mats. yikes

What I do is every year to put that graphite lock lube in the door locks to help keep them working. As for the spare I have one bolted to my side steps and held on by a wing nut.

10. tbplus10

Dont know why I forgot, since my daughter has had to have me call twice while borrowing the wifes HHR but OnStar can also unlock your car by remote if you have an account, and the OnStar smart phone app. Also allows for door unlock and vehicle start on certain vehicles.