1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Remote Start

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by rocz, Mar 4, 2007.

1. rocz

rocz New Member

i was thinkin' of puttin' a remote start on my 'o4 Tahoe and they said that i need a bypass key. i was in best buy when i asked. what is a bypass key? thanks in advance to anyone who can answer my question.
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

http://www.ehow.com/how_11214_buy-remote-start.html

I found this article to be pretty helpful.

STEP 11: Select a system that can bypass the original equipment manufacturer's (OEM) immobilizer systems if your car is equipped with one. The OEM system requires a key with a microchip imbedded in it to start the car. Some manufacturers have created ways to bypass this when engaging their remote start product.
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  3. sindawg10

sindawg10 New Member

I also have an 04 Tahoe, I have an Autopage remote start/alarm on mine. I didn't need a bypass key, just some type of box/wiring harness that hooked into the factory alarm system then off to the new remote start/alarm. I don't remember exactly what was done, but I do know for sure that I didn't need another key. Also I bought my Tahoe new, then had the remote start/alarm put in. Some places will say that you need certain things just to get more money from you, I could go on about it from personal experiences with after market add ons. If you need more on this issue, just hit me up on this site and I sure will do my best to answer from my own experiences.