Remote Starter - GM Part help

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by cwaters425, Dec 17, 2009.

1. cwaters425

cwaters425 New Member

I am wanting to add a remote start to my 2009 silverado. I already have keyless entry. I called my local dealer and they want $250 for the parts and then said it will take 2hrs to install and the rate for that is $180 ($90/hr). really $90 an hour? thats absolutly ridiculous. Anyway, I have searched a few sites and found some selling the gm remote start kit, but how do i choose the right one? How do I know what codes I have so I can get the right kit for my truck?

Remote Start for your '09 Chevrolet Silverado 1500: 2-Way Advanced Remote Start (w/ RPO Code AU0)
    List Price: $295.00 | Your Price $236.00

2-Way Advanced Remote Start (w/ RPO Code AP8)
    List Price: $250.00 | Your Price $200.00

Compatible only w/ RPO code AP8 equipped vehicles for Remote Start/ Power Lock Upgrade. Kit contains two transmitters and vehicle label.
    List Price: $195.00 | Your Price $156.00

2-Way Advanced Remote Start (w/ RPO Code AP3)
    List Price: $150.00 | Your Price $120.00

thanks,
    Chris.

2. Ryanbabz71

Ryanbabz71 Member

Shouldnt take 2 hrs to install

3. shakin

shakin New Member

On my 03 there is an RPO list on a sticker in the glovebox. Check there and match your RPO to one of the ones listed above.

4. Dr Len

Dr Len Rockstar 100 Posts

Ok Here's the deal. Every new truck comes with a remote start.

This is what the dealer does: He looks at the VIN. Contacts GM who gives him a code to enable the remote start. You get two new remotes and wah-la.

The dealer does pay for that code, and passes that to you - plus a fee for the new remotes. Then if you want the advanced remote, they have to use the scan tool to reprogram it again - again, passing the bill to you. Ive seen this done at a dealership. So the question is are you willing to pay for it? (I would)

A remote start with a safe install. Rather then someone hacking into wires in my new truck.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  5. RWK

RWK Rockstar

I've read in the owners manual about programming the remotes is done through the buttons on the Dash in the 09 Burb.

Are you talking about the same thing or something different.

6. Dr Len

No It has to go to the dealer

7. sethwell

sethwell New Member

even if you don't have power door locks? if so i might be looking into it.

8. Dr Len

I could'nt tell ya

9. captrcpjr

captrcpjr New Member

You can get a kit online and it will include the two remotes and the code and you take it to the dealership for reflashing the computer which takes about 3 minutes to do. Hopefully they wont charge you to reflash, they did not charge me. It works perfect and you'll be glad you did it. Yes every new body style truck has remote start built into it that has keyless entry from the factory. All you have to do is get the kit and it's done in a matter of minutes.

10. Shooter

Shooter Rockstar 100 Posts

Only the vehicles that have power locks have the remote built in. Otherwise they have to order the "Remote PREP" pack, cost is $29 retail to be able to install the remote start in the truck. If it don't have the power locks or the remote prep pack, GM will not install a remote start on it. (unless it is a aftermarket one with an extra set of fobs you have to use WITH the factory ones.) However, most dealers did spend the $29 and have it added to every truck they ordered for stock so it could be added if the customer wanted it to be.

True it is just a code they enter to activate it, but it is the FOBS that you are paying the most for that have the remote button on it. And GM does not give ANYONE ANYTHING!! The last one I got from the parts department for a 2009 Tahoe was $95 MY COST. Some are much higher than that on different cars we sell.

Almost all dealers that have a "GM Outfitters" (A parts installer and warehouse) near them get them installed by them. It takes about a half an hour to install and program the fobs. Then the dealer marks it up from there. Outfitters are the ones that do the install however..unless the dealer wants to save a few bucks and do it themselves. Most don't however. in my book it is the best option that can be added at the dealer. Everyone loves a remote start, especially in the winter.:great: