GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Remote Starter - GM Part help

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by cwaters425, Dec 17, 2009.

1. cwaters425

cwaters425 New Member

I am wanting to add a remote start to my 2009 silverado. I already have keyless entry. I called my local dealer and they want $250 for the parts and then said it will take 2hrs to install and the rate for that is $180 ($90/hr). really $90 an hour? thats absolutly ridiculous. Anyway, I have searched a few sites and found some selling the gm remote start kit, but how do i choose the right one? How do I know what codes I have so I can get the right kit for my truck?

Remote Start for your '09 Chevrolet Silverado 1500: 2-Way Advanced Remote Start (w/ RPO Code AU0)
    List Price: $295.00 | Your Price $236.00

2-Way Advanced Remote Start (w/ RPO Code AP8)
    List Price: $250.00 | Your Price $200.00

Compatible only w/ RPO code AP8 equipped vehicles for Remote Start/ Power Lock Upgrade. Kit contains two transmitters and vehicle label.
    List Price: $195.00 | Your Price $156.00

2-Way Advanced Remote Start (w/ RPO Code AP3)
    List Price: $150.00 | Your Price $120.00

thanks,
    Chris.
  2. Ryanbabz71

Ryanbabz71 New Member

Shouldnt take 2 hrs to install
  3. shakin

shakin New Member

On my 03 there is an RPO list on a sticker in the glovebox. Check there and match your RPO to one of the ones listed above.
  4. Dr Len

Dr Len New Member

Ok Here's the deal. Every new truck comes with a remote start.

This is what the dealer does: He looks at the VIN. Contacts GM who gives him a code to enable the remote start. You get two new remotes and wah-la.

The dealer does pay for that code, and passes that to you - plus a fee for the new remotes. Then if you want the advanced remote, they have to use the scan tool to reprogram it again - again, passing the bill to you. Ive seen this done at a dealership. So the question is are you willing to pay for it? (I would)

A remote start with a safe install. Rather then someone hacking into wires in my new truck.
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  5. RWK

RWK New Member

I've read in the owners manual about programming the remotes is done through the buttons on the Dash in the 09 Burb.

Are you talking about the same thing or something different.
  6. Dr Len

Dr Len New Member

No It has to go to the dealer
  7. sethwell

sethwell New Member

even if you don't have power door locks? if so i might be looking into it.
  8. Dr Len

Dr Len New Member

I could'nt tell ya
  9. captrcpjr

captrcpjr New Member

You can get a kit online and it will include the two remotes and the code and you take it to the dealership for reflashing the computer which takes about 3 minutes to do. Hopefully they wont charge you to reflash, they did not charge me. It works perfect and you'll be glad you did it. Yes every new body style truck has remote start built into it that has keyless entry from the factory. All you have to do is get the kit and it's done in a matter of minutes.
  10. Shooter

Shooter New Member

Only the vehicles that have power locks have the remote built in. Otherwise they have to order the "Remote PREP" pack, cost is $29 retail to be able to install the remote start in the truck. If it don't have the power locks or the remote prep pack, GM will not install a remote start on it. (unless it is a aftermarket one with an extra set of fobs you have to use WITH the factory ones.) However, most dealers did spend the $29 and have it added to every truck they ordered for stock so it could be added if the customer wanted it to be.

True it is just a code they enter to activate it, but it is the FOBS that you are paying the most for that have the remote button on it. And GM does not give ANYONE ANYTHING!! The last one I got from the parts department for a 2009 Tahoe was $95 MY COST. Some are much higher than that on different cars we sell.

Almost all dealers that have a "GM Outfitters" (A parts installer and warehouse) near them get them installed by them. It takes about a half an hour to install and program the fobs. Then the dealer marks it up from there. Outfitters are the ones that do the install however..unless the dealer wants to save a few bucks and do it themselves. Most don't however. in my book it is the best option that can be added at the dealer. Everyone loves a remote start, especially in the winter.:great:
  11. BG1

BG1 New Member

If your truck does have the remote start and all you need is the key fob could you get one on Ebay?
    BG1
  12. Shooter

Shooter New Member

If you have an (existing remote start with an old fob) then yes.
    But if not then no..each remote fob has a FCC number assigned to it..or a GM part number. If the remote does not match these numbers you can not program it for your vehicle.
    If you already have a remote start with an old fob, then just check the numbers on the back. If you find one that matches them then you can just program it and your all set.
    I usually have 30 or 40 of them laying around for cars I sell that come in with only one fob..if I find a match it saves me about $80 for a replacement.
    Good luck to you.
  13. Shorty 71

Shorty 71 New Member

I love the remote start and wouldn't want to be without it.
  14. shadowt_t

shadowt_t New Member

ok

iknow and iwill show u how
    first thing u must change the hood lock it must coming with sensore and u can take anew remote from ebay with 5 buttons lock...unlock engine starter ..glassdoor....and alarm this is the 1
  15. DUMAN

DUMAN New Member

Remote Start

I am looking for a remote start for my 06 Sierra?
  16. eyegore

eyegore New Member

But the factory remote start sucks on range. I upgraded to the extended range one from the dealer for a cost of around $250 installed and it has been well worth every penny!!!!!
  17. 1flyfisher

1flyfisher New Member

Mine has plenty of range from where I park which allows me to remotely start from inside my house, I have never tested the maximum range but I imagine it is sufficient for most folks needs.
    Also, remote start is a beautiful thing. SO nice to start the vehicle from inside the nice warm house, let the vehicle warm up for a few minutes and then jump right in, you can also set the heat or ac to warm or cool the vehicle before you get in. It's Living the Good Life!lol

18. DCRoyale

DCRoyale New Member

Does anyone know the part number, or procedure for adding the power door lock controller to the 03-06 Silverado? Specifically the 2500HD, but I think they were the same across the board, for these years.

Mine has aftermarket actuators in the doors but no control unit... I would rather put in a factory solution complete with FOB units than a cheap aftermarket.

Our local dealer was useless on trying to get information. They said 'remote entry is not available on the base models'. That's fine, but Cruise wasn't either.... yet it works perfectly....

Anyway, any information would be greatly appreciated.