Remote starter question

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by SGT_Z85, May 24, 2009.

1. SGT_Z85

SGT_Z85 New Member

My 2007 Silverado Z85 has a factory remote starter, and when I was showing it to a buddy he today he said "man you gotta be careful those things are really hard on the truck." Is there any truth to this? Is it really any different than just starting if with the key? Anyone had experiences good, bad or otherwise?

2. trimhalifax

trimhalifax Rockstar 100 Posts

My 01 has a remote and I use it quite often,have never had any problems related to it.

3. masterfoxscout

masterfoxscout Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Autostarts are commonplace in Alaska. No one likes going out to start their vehicle in -40F weather. I've never heard of them damaging a vehicle, and I've been around them for the last 7 years. I personally have used autostarts on my vehicles for about 5 years or so. You should be ok with it.

4. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I don't see how it would be hard - especially a factory one. Those trucks have anti-grind starting, that would work with the factory remote start. Other than starter grind, I don't see how it would be hard on a truck. I have a self-installed aftermarket starter, without any real problems. My only problem is that it trips my charging system message if I drive it after remote start. Factory doesn't have any risks like that. I wouldn't worry about anything.

5. splashfor69

splashfor69 New Member

ok i install remote starts all the time. thay are not bad on you ride. thay use the same wires just like if you was to ture the key on. ive had one on my truck for 5yrs now never had any trouble.

6. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

they may hurt your MPG a little because you have a tendancy to idle a little more but in no way do they hurt the engine

7. SGT_Z85

SGT_Z85 New Member

Thanks for all the info guys!