1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Remote Starter?

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Kady, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Kady

Kady Rockstar GMTC Chick 100 Posts

Anyone put one in their truck and have problems after problem with it?

2. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

What kind of problems are you having? What brand is it and did you do it yourself?

3. Mindi51982

Mindi51982 Rockstar 100 Posts

I bought mine last December from Circuit City. Mine is a Python and my biggest complaint is that the door lock as soon as you start the truck with the key. I've been locked out of my truck with it running and my purse/phone in the truck a couple of times. I'm going to have to get in the habit of starting the truck with the remote and not put the key in the ignition until I am for certain that I am ready to leave.

4. Kady

I don't know what brand it was. I brought it to one of the shops around here to do it. They took care of everything..

The first problem I had a couple days after I had it installed. When I would start the truck with the remote, it wouldn't allow the truck to shift out of first gear. If i started it with the key, it would shift fine. So i called a few people, and got a few opinions, and it was decided there was some kind of recall with the ignition module or something, not sure what it was.. it was a couple years ago already.

Then the next problem came randomly. I pulled up to my house, pulled the keys out of the ignition, and my running lights and dash lights stayed on. But the light swtich was in the off position. I tried messing with the switch, starting and shutting off the truck again, hitting the brake, nothing would work. I just kept messing with different things and finally got the lights to go off.

Then another time, I started the truck with the remote, got in, put the key in, and the minute i put my foot on the brake, and shifted into gear, the truck diied. The same way it does when you hit the brake while its running on the remote, like you haven't put the key in.. Then I tried to start it again, and the truck was completely dead. Like the battery wasn't even connected to the truck. I would turn the key and nothing on the dash would light up or anything.. Finally after just waiting it out for a bit (Had no other choice, stuck in the middle of no where) The dash lights would come on, and i would try and turn the truck over, and it would crank, but the second it started it would idle like ****, and then stall out. And then wouldn't start again, for a bit.. So when I would gert it started, I'd have to keep playing with the gas to keep the idle high enough..

Hasn't done any of these problems in a while, but i just have random lil problems all the time that seem to be electric, and I think its all thanks to the Remote Starter.

5. Mindi51982

Mindi51982 Rockstar 100 Posts

Yeah...I would've taken it back to the install place with the first problem. Those remote starters are absolutely nothing to mess with. There are so many things that can go wrong if the install job was done half assed. The remote installs themselves have a warranty then places that install it usually have an installation warranty. Call the manufacturer or take it back to the place where you got it installed and have them fix it.

6. Kady

well, for the first problem, I did take it back. He had a friend that was a GM tech, so he got the part for the recall, and installed it for me, at no cost to me. Then it's tough to bring everything else in to get fixed because it doesn't do it all the time.

7. drumrob

drumrob Rockstar 100 Posts

I had an 05 Silverado and I did have a Viper alarm system with the auto start. I never had any problems with it. If I remember correctly my doors didn't lock until I switched from parking to drive. Did they lock though after having the truck run for like 3 mins or so. I have been meaning to put one on my current truck but at one shop they wanted $600 with installation because they need some modules. I know I can get cheaper somewhere else so Ill keep looking.

8. Kady

I never had a problem with the door locks.. They always locked when I put it in drive. A problem I had cause of that though, was the door handles all went. Lil bastards that I give rides to decide to try and open it when its locked, and when it doesn't open, they like to pull and pull like they're ina tug of war with the handle. I've had to replace all of thems since.. Chevy wasn't thinking when they made those handles.

9. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

To fix everyones problem just go with Compustar, they started it all and can do it for manual tranny too. They can only be installed by certified vendors/sellers they are worth the money and have up to three mile range and they dont cost a ton either

10. Kady

I think I'm just gonnna take it out all together. Its getting to be warmer weather, and I prefer my windows open over having the AC blasting. So I'll just use the summer to get a new one.