1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

remote starter

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by chevymason, Nov 16, 2010.

1. randomsandwhich

randomsandwhich New Member

whooops ... :oops: yea i meant ap8 ... gotten confused with the tow mirror upgrade and this ... I'm a bit unsure on the two ways because ... ever since I programmed my truck with my edge evolution programmer onstar has been unable to read my tpms or any of the other things it checks, just gives errors. So, I don't know if the two ways would work with my situation ... going to have to look into it a little more. Anyways just wondering how the two way works and find out what would be best ... also to see if the dealership charges an install fee.
  2. sotto66

sotto66 New Member

I know, this thread is old. But I have to go through this remote starter problem again. I paid for package contains pre-wiring for remote starter. I got RPO code AP8. I asked at dealership where I bought my truck, what I need to order. Looked like they never did it before. I asked at different dealership and they are asking $299. Isn't that little to much??? Everything is already pre-wired. I need only key fob and reprogramming of computer. Any car alarm shop can install aftermarket remote starter for around $250. Than, what is the sense of that pre-wiring from factory??????:grrrrrr::grrrrrr::grrrrrr:
  3. tonkarepo

tonkarepo New Member

I have a 2012 silerado with ap8 code and i have remotes and access to tis. Can i program? Dealer even with ap8 i need to purchase 250.00 kit even though i have remotes.
  4. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

No....you can Not Do the Programming, it MUST be Done by the Dealer, for the Following Reason.....The Kit Includes Two Remote Fobs and an Unlock Authorization Security Code, That's included In The Starter Kit.....that the Dealer needs when they call G.M.....

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  5. Holbrook.Jeremy

Holbrook.Jeremy New Member

Hopefully I'm not beating a dead horse, I've done a lot of searching on google and various forums. This one being the most comprehensive I figured I'd ask here. I have the AP8 code which means I can add on remote start but I'd like to have the advanced 2 way paging system with LCD on the transmitters. Reading through this thread it looks like if I add the remote start then I can add

19171129 2-Way Advanced Remote Start - Use on Extended Cab Models with Remote Keyless Entry and Engine Start (AP3) or Crew Cab Models with Remote Keyless Entry and Engine Start (AP3), But Without Rear Sliding Power Window (A48)

Is this true? Where I live it's on street parking and during the winter when I'd like to be using this the regular transmitters aren't going to reach the winter parking lot.
  6. Curky

Curky New Member 1000 Posts

welcome to the club
  7. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

It would be cheaper to have an aftermarket remote start installed. Plus, in most cases you will get a longer range.