1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Removal of Broken bolts?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by ippielb, May 20, 2010.

1. ippielb

ippielb Active Member 1000 Posts

Just wondering what you guys have done for tricks to remove broken bolts in the block. I have 3 manifold bolts that are broken off, both of the ones that are on the farthest most back of the manifolds, they're broken from a long time ago from GM's design, and also the very most front one on the drivers side, from me using a ratchet, instead of an air gun. I have heard of tricks of people using acetylene torches and heating them up red hot, then putting candle wax, or instead, then cooling them rapidly with ice. I've been soaking the bolts in WD-40 before work, and then after work to try and loosen the bind of rust. So hopefully this will help me. The only thing that's happened, is that the heads of the bolts have snapped off, they have a little bit of the stud still sticking out. So i was going to try and weld on a nut, then try and unbolt them like the other ones.

Anyone have any suggestions?
  2. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie New Member

EasyOuts work real well depending on the size of the bolts. Me and my buddy have used them to remove broke spark plugs and broke real differential bolts. So they work pretty good when used right.
  3. Greg84

Greg84 New Member

I'd try welding a nut to them if you can. The heat from welding might help to break it loose too.

If you can slide the entire manifold off right over the broken bolt that will give you a lot more bolt to weld on also.
  4. bigdaddy77084

bigdaddy77084 New Member

Best bet is taking the head off. They make a reverse drill bit, It cuts in the losen direction, They work good sometimes once you get into it they with start to back out.
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member 1000 Posts

If you have the ability/facility to weld a nut on, that's the ticket. The extreme/rapid heating will usually break the corrosion bond, and you have a fresh nut to grab.
  6. ippielb

ippielb Active Member 1000 Posts

That's what the plan was, just making sure you guys thought that was a good idea, only thing i'm concerned about is trying to weld in that spot. And not to burn anything. Oh well, wrap it in old rags and give'r ****.