Remove the Distributor?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by vulcania, May 28, 2010.

1. vulcania

vulcania New Member

Hey guys!

1999 CK Truck; 4WD; 5.7 1500 Vortec; Air Con; Power Everything...

Coolant leak at right front corner of lower intake manifold. Took your advice and got the Fel Pro gaskets; thanks!

QUESTION: Do I have to pull the distributor out of the engine to R&R the lower intake manifold?

I ask because (1) my manual is so ambiguously worded i can tell whether it's telling me to remove the distributor itself or just the wires; (2) there's still so much stuff in the way I can't see the distributor mount yet; and (3) if i have to pull the distributor, I'm sending the job to the shop.

So: gotta remove the distributor all the way out before removing the lower intake manifold: yes or no?

Thanks again.

Pat

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Yes. I hate manuals and ow they are worded.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Yup, gotta pull the distributor. Just mark the dist base and intake together, and the rotor position to the distributor base so you can get it in the right spot when you re-assemble.

4. wis bang

wis bang Rockstar 100 Posts

And mark where the rotor goes as you pull it out! It will move as the drive gear turns coming out of the cam gear. That's where it has to point when you start installing it.

Since the computer controls your timing and we no longer have to re-time every tine we tune up, expect the dist to be difficult to get moving. I'd also recomend renewing the O ring on the shaft, the can leak a bunch of oil if they crack...it's a special compound so a generic black rubber O ring won;t work!